Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nview Desktop Manager

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JaxandriaZ

JaxandriaZ

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:34 PM

:thumbsup: I think my computer became infected with the Trojan w32 LookSky virus, I think I got rid of it but now my screen keeps turning blue, I receive the following message;

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x00000077, 0xc000000E, xc000000E, x00000000, 0x0077A000
Ive researched a little and read it may be the beginning of my hard drive going or it could be due to a virus? I tried rusing Chkdsk but got a message that said it could not be locked, another application was using the system and that it would did I want to run it the next time my computer is rebooted, I typed YES. does anyone know how I can find out if this is from a virus or bad hard drive, ran a check on the hard drive came back clean. I have a Maxtor 6Y200PO, 300GB, Windows XP HOme Edition, Dell Dimension 4550, 256 RAM, Intel Pentium 2.4Ghz with 189.91 free space left on the hard drive. I am scared to keep using my computer cause my hard drive (Western Digital) crashed a few years ago, had this one installed but I never backed anything on my first drive so I lost tons of family photos, pics of pets that have past on, and lots of documents I could use now! Ive backed up using Xdrive but is there another free back up I can use in case I dont have time to run out and buy something to back up my hard drive before it does crash?
ANy help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 21 August 2007 - 07:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:39 AM

Hello JaxandriaZ and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

You can test the hard drive by downloading Maxtor's diagnostic utility from this site.

Edited by Budapest, 22 August 2007 - 02:40 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:40 AM

What program(s) did you use to get rid of the malware? Smitfraud malware will tell you that you have the Trojan.W32.Looksky to scam you with one of their products.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 JaxandriaZ

JaxandriaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

Hello JaxandriaZ and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

You can test the hard drive by downloading Maxtor's diagnostic utility from this site.

Thank you Budapest! I found Maxtor site yesterday after searching the web but wasnt sure what to download so after reading your post I went back and read some more, followed the links and found it! so thanks. But it wouldnt let me download it. heres what I got after halfway thru the download,
"This program requires .NET.framework 2.0 or greater" so I clicked the word OK and then it started like it was continuing the download but stopped with a message of " installation ended prematurely because of an error" didnt say what kind of error. gosh being computer illiterate makes it so tough when something like this happens, I know for sure I was infected with the LookSky virus, checked around and found more info on this virus. when I run another scan nothing comes up but I sometimes get a message that says C:\windows|privacy_danger\index\html cannot be found, it pops up once my computer has loaded up. Now i notice if I shut my computer completely down and dont leave it on all night i wont get the "blue screen" my son did download "Nascar 2003 PC" game about a week or, and I did instal a new all in one printer/fax/scan/copier about a month, and I do recall receiving a message saying something about "virtual memory is low" every once in awhile it would pop up, like every few weeks, but I didnt start having trouble until after my daugther used my computer, shes only 12 and she was suppose to be home sick with grandma babysitting, I think i became infected with the virus and when something about it poped up on the screen she clicked on it, because I did have three new desktop icons which werent there before, i checked in my "Add and Remove section but they didnt show ever being downloaded so I deleted the shortcuts from the DT. what should I do now? could I have left some part of the virus behind? or how do I go forward with trying to download the diagnostic testing from Maxtor/
sorry so long, IM getting totally upset about this> I have tons of work to do get done on this PC, cant lose it now. I did run a HJT scan and a SuperAnti virus scan, I can post them here if it might help decipher any troubles I might still have on my PC?

#5 JaxandriaZ

JaxandriaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

What program(s) did you use to get rid of the malware? Smitfraud malware will tell you that you have the Trojan.W32.Looksky to scam you with one of their products.

Hi buddy215! well I first ran a HijackThis scan, cant decipher it though!! then I ran SuperAnti virus scan, it showed the Trojan.W32LookSky, then I ran Adware SE, then Spybot Search and Destroy, now that I think of it, it was actuall the SpyBot that located the LookSky and not the SuperAnti virus, then I ran my AOL anti virus and spyware programs and it detected two more trojans, I ran every antivirus and spyware/malware programs I have on my computer! what one did detect the others did, I even tried using the Panda scan but it wouldnt continue, something about it being unable to complete scan due to my computer not allowing it to use the ActiveX control, any ways I did run a chkdsk scan this morning after rebooting my PC and it came back clean, found nothing wrong. If my test run on my hard drive comes back ok does that mean I can rest easy its not my hard drive going? do you know what "disable your BIOS memory options, such as caching or shadowing" mean? thats some of Technical Information blue screen message said. the last time my hard drive crashed I got a blue screen and my PC wouldnt reboot, only for a split second then it would be off again, and when it went blue the first time it had a different message than this blue screen does, it said, "Fatal System Error, and then the Stop: message. maybe my drive is safe and its just actually a hardware or software application install, thats another thing the error message mentioned to. so Smitfraud is bogus? Ive heard of that before.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:37 PM

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This forum. You need to eliminate any chance that malware is causing some of your problem. DO NOT post the log in this forum. Directions for posting are in the link below. You have done all the prep--just post the log.
After the Hijack This team gives you an all clear, post any other problem you are experiencing in the forum for XP users.
Just looking at the specs you posted, I would suggest you consider getting more memory. Most find that 500mb of memory is necessary for XP.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 JaxandriaZ

JaxandriaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This forum. You need to eliminate any chance that malware is causing some of your problem. DO NOT post the log in this forum. Directions for posting are in the link below. You have done all the prep--just post the log.
After the Hijack This team gives you an all clear, post any other problem you are experiencing in the forum for XP users.
Just looking at the specs you posted, I would suggest you consider getting more memory. Most find that 500mb of memory is necessary for XP.

Ok I'll post the HTJ scan in the right forum but I did a SDfix or ran it actually and it showed I still had two Trojan files left in my registery, it cleaned the files, I have it copied and pasted to my clipboard, can I post it too? do you know how i can get the most updated Microsoft .Net.Framework? i was browsing around on my PC and found I have Net.Framework 1.1 and Maxtor's test utility will only run off of 2.0 or higher, how can I update it?
thanks for your help!
JazandriaZ

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

I recently had my .Net.Framework to update thru the regular monthly updates for Windows. Have you tried that?

Yes, you can post both logs in the same post. Just don't make two posts or the HJT team might assume you are being helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users