Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-installment Of Isp Software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alpad

alpad

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:12 PM

First off here I want to say that I am working my way through the XP Tweakguide and it has made a difference. I am more than half way through and already feel like I will have to go through it again and take some notes to really 'get' all I can from it. I would suggest that others download and devour it as it easily explains what XPusers need to know.

Now ... I need some advice/ direction here. I began with a Win 98 system... had it upgraded to XP Pro in 2005 ... both systems are on the computer... a concern, but not my issue right now.

The issue: I have been using walmart connect, now, netscape connect ISP for 6 years. From time to time I get a generic message when trying to connect to the internet saying there was an error and I will have to re-install the software. This has been happening since I began using it.. Each time I have to remove it and re-install and I LOOSE everything. When I call customer service they talk about SP2 blah blah blah.. which has been installed and updated as often as available.

I am about to try a different ISP when I can determine which one to go with to see if it happens with them. Well, before I do that -- I want to know if anyone had any ideas/ suggestions I could try before I possibly go down another rabbit trail.

Thnx so much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

Rabbit trails and ISP software seem to go hand-in-hand. Can you be more specific about precisely what you are losing when you re-install their software? Are you installing it from disk or downloading it from their site?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:07 PM

Yes .. it is a disk. I just re-installed ... and am online on it ... when I try to get off later, it will upgrade from walmart connect to netscape connect. All saved info is placed on my harddrive -- no webspace.

Customer service always says I can simply "drop" the saved old filing cabinet and favorites/ preferences (saved on desktop) into the new one (on C:), but the new one has never recognized or incorporated the old; so I quit even trying to save it on my computer. I have used a free yahoo acct. to save stuff since 2003 ... however, it is just easier and faster to use my ISP for e-mail. I also can attach bigger files... that is an advantage. I don't get that with Yahooo.
I like the window arrangement/ browser this ISP offers over netscape and those set up like it...

I think this problem has more to do with my computer than the ISP because there are times when I get these messages saying the main module has had an error and has to close down. This message offers 2 choices: close or access to reveal exactly what the error is... which varies. (IT used to always be a rundll error, now it is different things. I had it written down here, but my children have been using my desk and I cannot find it now. I might be able to remember it... I will try.) Anyways,
IF I choose close I will EVERY single time have to remove and reinstall my ISP software from disk, but if I ignore it ... drag and drop it to the side -- close out my ISP and restart my computer all will be fine...

But, there are times when I go back and it will not fully load anyways & then, I will have to remove and reinstall.

NOTHING else appears to be affected ... I have yet to detect any associated issues. I think this is only the 2nd time I had to re-install since May, but I had some genealogical information waiting to be sent and it is gone now.

I really appreciate your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users