Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bandwidth Usage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jim4413

jim4413

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

Having recently received a nippy letter from my ISP warning me about a ridiculously high usage of bandwidth ( 40Gb per month, although there is no way I could have used anything near this) I have downloaded a meter which gives me an ongoing and real time record of bandwidth usage. I have noticed when using my PC that the meter indicates a fairly high download and upload usage, even when there is relatively little activity. On the other hand, when using my laptop, the meter indicates much less usage. Any explanation for this? I must explain that the very high usage was possibly/probably due to someone tapping into my unsecured wireless router..........it is now secure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

Same OS and same browsers on both your laptop and your other computer?
Is the difference primarily in up usage?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 jim4413

jim4413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

Same OS and same browsers on both your laptop and your other computer?
Is the difference primarily in up usage?
Regards,
John

Same browser on both. Difference is mainly in up usage but down usage on the PC is greater than on the laptop. Unsure what OS refers to.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

Sorry, Operating System (Windows version). I was trying to account for what I assume was a difference in polling the server.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 jim4413

jim4413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:42 PM

Sorry, Operating System (Windows version). I was trying to account for what I assume was a difference in polling the server.
Cheers,
John

Same OS - Windows XP and same browser - Internet Explorer on both. Laptop has wireless link to PC. An example of the difference - with Internet connected but little or no activity on the laptop, the meter showing download and upload barely moves. With the same conditions on the PC, the download and upload increases by the second. :thumbsup:

#6 jim4413

jim4413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

Cheers,
John

Same OS - Windows XP and same browser - Internet Explorer on both. Laptop has wireless link to PC. An example of the difference - with Internet connected but little or no activity on the laptop, the meter showing download and upload barely moves. With the same conditions on the PC, the download and upload increases by the second. :thumbsup:

I took readings from the meter and was surprised at the following:

Laptop connected to Internet for about 30mins., but with little activity - usage was 4.65Mb downloaded and 1.20Mb uploaded and the meter fairly static.

PC connected to Internet for about 30mins., with NO activity - usage was 6.1Mb downloaded and 6.2 uploaded with the meter running up download and upload usage non stop as you look at it.

Both have the same operating system Windows XP and the same browser Internet Explorer. The laptop has a wireless connection to the PC. I can't understand why the readings are so different. Could it be because of a virus in my PC?

#7 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:12 PM

It seems like to me you have malware on it, and it is constantly sending and receiving data.

What anti-virus program you have on teh computer your having trouble with?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users