Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Isp Would You Choose, If...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alpad

alpad

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

these were your limitations:

dial-up connection ONLY, must have local/ toll-free access numbers and cost not more than $15.00 a month. (Sorry that is all I have right now.)

Other things to be considered: file attachment size, security and at least 4 e-mail addresses.

I am looking at peoplepconline accelerated, localnet express 2.0 and BasicIsp.net. Do you know of another that is comparable?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dribdrab

dribdrab

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

http://www.copper.net/

http://www.cricketinternet.com/index.htm

Forever Ain't so long anymore

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

I would eliminate the 4 E-mail address requirement since there are many free E-mail providers (Yahoo, Google) that will probably give you larger storage and you can keep these if you decide to change ISPs. You would have to compare the file attachment sizes to those of the proposed ISP, but I would imagine that Google or Yahoo will allow as much as your ISP, if not more.
That may broaden your choices somewhat.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

Although I'm now with a DSL provider, I've maintained a peoplepc conection at $10.95/month simply because I can link with a local phone connection from anywhere in USA. I wouldn't pay for the extra supposed accelerated connection.
I never saw the difference.

I've not used the cricketinternet, but know some that like it.

As noted above, one can get online email, eg, the gmail.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:16 PM

I've been using both netzero.com and juno.com free email accounts for years,

so I agree, there really may be no need to require multiple email addresses.

Oh, and Yahoo and Gmail and.... heck, I've probably got a few I don't remember.

:thumbsup:

Edited by JohnWho, 21 August 2007 - 04:18 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

Ive always liked Netzero but have heard that they went down the drain recently (the girlfriends grandmother has it and hates it).

As for email lavabit.com offers free POP3 over SSL (Outlook Express or Thunderbird just click send/receive once your online and boom your email's are sent and the incoming are in your inbox, GMail also has this feature) service up to a certain amount of traffic per month. www.lavabit.com

Edited by BlackSpyder, 21 August 2007 - 04:33 PM.

Posted Image

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

Ive always liked Netzero but have heard that they went down the drain recently (the girlfriends grandmother has it and hates it).

Dunno.

The free email account doesn't require you to use Netzero's ISP service.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:05 PM

One thing I do want to add, Accelerated dial up is a scam or just a false statement in a way.

What it does is shrink images and page quality down to make it load a bit faster. Dial up is limited to 56kbps over the phone line so it will not help your download speed.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,998 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

CowsGoneMad is right about the accelerator scam. It uses YOUR computers ability to cache pages that you use frequently that do not change data often and pretends to be responsible for Higher download speeds. Save your money.
I used PeoplePC 2 years ago and had no problem installing or cancelling unlike another provider that turned out to be the ISP from hell. NetZERO. I found out why they had ZERO in their name. I still get free for 3 months PeoplePC install CDs.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:14 PM

Thanks so much!

The accelerator misnomer I didn't have a clue about although I did read a big explanation somewhere about that today ...

I will look into lavabit and cricket ... There's so many ISPs ... I was overwhelmed at the length of the list I found.

YOU are appreciated!

#11 dribdrab

dribdrab

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:04 AM

I've been with Cricket for about three years and haven't had any serious complaints and their service is good+.
Don't forget Copper! they have excellent service and like Cricket you don't need to download any software,the address below is for a special :three months for one dollar. I've tried many a dialup and that's what they are just dialup,but some like the two I've mentioned here are at least not troublesome, and helpful when you need help. Some may say ohterwise but that's my experience with them.

http://sub.copper.net/landing/?PromoCode=ispguide

Forever Ain't so long anymore

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

Hey now netzero was or still is a descent ISP. I mean I have used just the free internet for years on trips and it always works fine. So glad to have wireless now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users