Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bill1276

Bill1276

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:36 AM

Hey everyone, I am new here and have a huge problem with my computer. I have a gateway computer that is 2.5 year old. I am running Window XP home version. I have spyware by webroot, cox security suite, agv anti-virus. My computer has been working fine until this morning. I used the computer last night and everything worked fine. I shut the computer off went to bed. When I woke up this morning and turned it on and it runs for about 5 seconds and I get a black screen with the message "Error Loading Operating System". It does not bring up the gateway screen or anything before I get the error message. I have the XP disk if needed. Also everything on the computer is already backed up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:50 AM

you could try a repair off the recovery console using your xp cd

pressing R gets you there and when the recovery console menu shows

type in chkdsk /r press enter

then try to start your computer

if that dont work then do a full non-destructive repair

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:10 AM

Hi Bill1276, and welcome to BleepingComputer
Try doing a last known good configuration first, that may take care of your problem. If you need instructions for this you can find them here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Bill1276

Bill1276
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:13 AM

Well I got the problems fixed, sort of. I have created a couple more issues. I have post everything I did below. Then the questions are at the end.

you could try a repair off the recovery console using your xp cd

pressing R gets you there and when the recovery console menu shows

type in chkdsk /r press enter

then try to start your computer

if that dont work then do a full non-destructive repair

I tried this but it ran and gave me a message

“The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems”

So I was looking through the stuff that came with my computer and found a little white box that said

“IMPORTANT: DO NOT LOOSE OR MISPLACE THESE DISKS:
If windows ever fails to load insert the silver disk and follow the prompts”

Inside the box was 4 disks 1) silver disk labeled “Gateway repair and recovery CD” 2) purple disk labeled “Gateway Drivers” 3) blue disk labeled “Gateway Operating System Windows XP” 4) yellow disk labeled “Gateway Applications”

So I inserted the disk and it ran a blue screen that said “scanning disks”. It ran for a while and come up with a message “Unable to repair or recover partion1 to reinstall window press ENTER or press F3 to escape”. I pressed enter and it said “partion1 needs to be formatted press Enter to continue or F3 to return to previous screen”. I pressed enter and it ran and came up with prompts to enter each of the other three disks. After a long process it brought up everything fine. I have everything backed up so it did not loose much but setting and internet favorites. On of the thing the application disk installed was Norton Anti-virus.

I then got everything connected to the internet and installed “Cox Security Suite”. When installing Cox it prompted “Another Anti-Virus installed please uninstall and reinstall Cox Security Suite”. So I did that and everything worked. I then went through the long process of installing all the windows updates from Microsoft, including Service Pack 2. It also asked me to install Internet Explore 7.0, which I did. After a very long process everything seems to work. So now the questions.

QUESTIONS:
I use Microsoft outlook and when I tried to set it up and it is asking the path to the Cox email server. Do I need to call Cox for that?

The Windows firewall is turning off my Cox firewall. Should I just use the Windows firewall or should I disable it and us the Cox version.

I now have the option under the start menu for “Windows Update” and “Microsoft Update”. What is the difference between the two? Do I need to do both? I only did the window update last night.

I used to have “Roxy CD Creator”, this did not reload after all this. How do I get this back or another similar application. I looked for a disk and could not find one.

End of questions and thank you for all your help.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:09 AM

I would stick with the Cox firewall.

Got this information from Wkikpedia:

Microsoft Update differs from Windows Update in that previously Windows Update only delivered updates for Windows itself, software drivers, and adjunct software such as Windows Media Player and NetMeeting. As of July 2006, Windows Update is the default update service for users of Windows XP and older operating systems, with Microsoft Update being an optional upgrade. Recently, those who upgraded to Microsoft Update, if they go to the older Windows Update, they will be automatically redirected to Microsoft Update, therefore rendering the older Windows Update unusable.

DeepBurner is a good free CD burning application. I'm not sure if it has all the same functions of Roxy CD Creator, as I have never used that.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:22 AM

Don't forget to defrag you hdd, after an installation like that there will be a lot of fragmented files.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 wmg819

wmg819

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:25 AM

Roxio has a patch on thier site for older model CD R/RW's which are not detected by XP even though the Device Manager shows the drive as a CD R/RW. This will allow Roxio to notice the drive on start up or when a CD R/RW disk is placed in the drive.

Roxio has a patch on thier site for older model CD R/RW's which are not detected by XP even though the Device Manager shows the drive as a CD R/RW. This will allow Roxio to notice the drive on start up or when a CD R/RW disk is placed in the drive.

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

I've never had anything but heartache with Roxio. It came preinstalled with my first computer. Took me years to finally shake those chains and try others. Roxio (and Nero) are so bloated. There are plenty of other burning apps that will work just fine and even better.

#9 Bill1276

Bill1276
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:35 AM

I would stick with the Cox firewall.

Got this information from Wkikpedia:

Microsoft Update differs from Windows Update in that previously Windows Update only delivered updates for Windows itself, software drivers, and adjunct software such as Windows Media Player and NetMeeting. As of July 2006, Windows Update is the default update service for users of Windows XP and older operating systems, with Microsoft Update being an optional upgrade. Recently, those who upgraded to Microsoft Update, if they go to the older Windows Update, they will be automatically redirected to Microsoft Update, therefore rendering the older Windows Update unusable.

DeepBurner is a good free CD burning application. I'm not sure if it has all the same functions of Roxy CD Creator, as I have never used that.

Okay I did not look very hard last night but where do I turn off the windows firewall? I will try that other burner and see how I like it.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

To turn off the Windows firewall go Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall and on the General tab, click Off and then click OK.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users