Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleanup

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:20 AM

Hello again,

I have read much about cleaning the system using CCleaner and I would like to know...WHICH of the CCleaner settings (or selections) should be used ESPECIALLY concerned about the ADVANCED SETTINGS and whether or not to turn off System Restore prior....

Looking forward to more EXCELLENT ADVICE!!

John
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

By the way...I have already run Spybot 1.5 which came up with CONGRATULATIONS, nothing found!!

Thanks again

trumpetman51
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

I use CCleaner all the time and really like it. I find that the default settings for the Cleaner function are good. Stay well away from the Issues function though. If you don't know what you're doing in there you can really mess up your system.

CCleaner will not remove any viruses or the like from your computer. It's main function is to delete the temp files that build up over time, thus freeing up more hard drive space. It also deletes a lot of the history information from your computer (for example: the Internet Explorer history) so that prying eyes cannot see what you've been doing.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

Be extremely careful using any application like CCleaner, since it is a very powerful programme. The safer modules offer a handy "one-stop" cleaning function, but completely avoid any changes to the registry. Unless you are a fairly knowledgeable computer user, it would probably be best to avoid such applications completely.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Budapest,
But what about some od the other cleanup settings such as "Old Prefetch Data", "Hotfix Uninstallers" and "custom Files and Folders".....these can represent many MB of Disk Space...especially those Hotfix uninstalers...

trumpetman51 (John)

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

The Custom Files and Folders is to delete files and folders that you specify in the Options > Custom section.

The Hotfix Uninstallers are the files that are used to uninstall the Windows Updates. If you clean this out you will not be able to uninstall any Windows Updates.

The start menu allows you to set a custom order to the programs listed. Cleaning the Menu Order Cache removes any custom ordering from the Start menu.

The start menu displays a list of the most recently run programs. Cleaning the User Assist History will clear this list.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

Thanks Budapest!!

What about the Prefetch Data selection??

trumpetman51 (John)

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

It's perfectly safe to clean the Old Prefetch Data; however, it's debatable whether this is a good thing to do or not. See this link for a discussion on the issue.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 cjfla

cjfla

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:21 PM

FYI - About clearing your "prefetch folder" CLICK HERE

#10 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

WOW.....SUCH CONTROVERSY over ONE DECISION!!!

I believe the consenus is to NOT LEAR THE PREFETCH FILES and so I WILL FOLLOW THE CONSENSUS!!!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR PUTTING SO MUCH EFFORT INTO HELPING ME GET IT RIGHT!!!

trumpetman51 :thumbsup:

trumpetman51 (John)

#11 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:57 PM

Just to balance the debate: It should be known that certain inexplicable problems happen when a prefetch file gets corrupted. Some truly mysterious problems are magically fixed by clearing the cache. This is the real reason that CCleaner includes this function.

XP will rebuild the cache in short order - that's what it is designed to do. Sure, the first few boots and app runs will be a little slower, but what's this annoyance worth compared to getting back a properly working computer ? There are a lot of inane arguments out there on the web...

#12 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

THANKS to YOU TOO WinCrazy!!! FOR REAL!! You're right, there ARE as many points of view out there as there are PCs and their users.....we're ALL always learning, right??

trumpetman51 (John)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users