Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Extremly Slow On Startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stefke

Stefke

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:42 AM

My uncle's computer has become terribly slow on startup.I dunno what to do,i ran a full anti-virus check with several programs,i deleted unnecessary files,defragmented the hard drive,yet its still slow on startup.I went to the Spybot:Search and Destroy list of all programs that turn themselfs on during the startup,and i checked out some programs(mostly chat programs),but it still isnt good.I dont dare to check out any more programs from the list because i am not an expert.Can you advise me on what should i do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:47 AM

For more information on start up programs you can check out Bleeping Computer's own Startup Program Database.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Stefke

Stefke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:55 AM

yea..that helped...unfortynatley

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:35 AM

Hi Stefke,

Oh-oh, whatcha mean "unfortunately Boo?" Didja break something else? Spit out all of the information that you can about the problem and maybe someone can help you get it straightened out.

Um... when you ran all of those anti-virus and anti-malware scans you did run them in safe mode didn't you?

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:33 AM

If your computer seems to be slow, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users