Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm+linksys Wirelessn Router=no Internet?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:02 AM

I recently purchased a Linksys WirelessN Gaming Router, model WRT330N. This unit comes with a built in firewall, and between the built-in firewall and ZoneAlarm, I am unable to access the internet without disabling ZoneAlarm.

First off, can anyone tell me how effective the router's built in firewall is? Can it do everything ZoneAlarm's free version can?

Secondly, does anyone know of a way to make ZoneAlarm and the router's firewall work together? Linksys told me to lower the settings on ZoneAlarm, but I like having more security, and even on lower (not lowest) security settings, I was unable to access the internet.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! gk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:22 AM

You've made the right choice in having both, and I'm sure its possible to get them to work together. Sounds like Linksys is probably right about adjusting ZA settings.

Firewalls in hardware and software are generally different. While hardware firewalls watch network activity in general, software firewalls are often more focused on applications on a PC. Here's a link you might want to check out:
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardwa...ewall_types.asp

Just for clarification:
1. With just the Linksys firewall activated you can access the internet.
2. With just the ZA firewall activated you can access the internet.
3. With both the Linksys firewall and ZA on and in the current config, you cannot connect to the internet.
3a. can you ping the router with both firewalls on? click start->run type cmd on the console, type ping 192.168.1.1 (I believe that is the Linksys default ip address for routers, but you might want to double check your product manual)

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:20 AM

Have you opened ports for your game in AVG?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

Just for clarification:
1. With just the Linksys firewall activated you can access the internet.
2. With just the ZA firewall activated you can access the internet.
3. With both the Linksys firewall and ZA on and in the current config, you cannot connect to the internet.
3a. can you ping the router with both firewalls on? click start->run type cmd on the console, type ping 192.168.1.1 (I believe that is the Linksys default ip address for routers, but you might want to double check your product manual)

1. Yes, no problems set up that way.
2. Just tried it to be sure, and that seems to work.
3. OK, I just turned both firewalls on, and lost my internet connection within a few minutes. When I installed the router, as soon as I turned ZoneAlarm on, I lost my internet connection.
3a. Yes, I could still ping the router, even though I couldn't access the internet.

Edited by gkazule, 21 August 2007 - 12:08 PM.

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

I havent used ZA in a while; can you enable event logging? If so, then you can re-create the problem (while noting the time) and check the logs. It might help to see what the ZA firewall has to "say" about the arrangement.

[edit]Come to think of it, it doesnt hurt to check the router logs as well. :thumbsup: [/edit]

Edited by jhsmurray, 21 August 2007 - 12:46 PM.

Acer Aspire 5732z

#6 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

Event Log is on, but I don't understand most of what it says. Should I post a copy of it here, or ?

*ETA* I think I might have gotten it. For some reason, ZA was blocking the router's IP address. Once I figured out how to make ZA allow the routers IP address into the trusted zone, my internet seems to be working.

Edited by gkazule, 21 August 2007 - 01:08 PM.

#7 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

Ahh nice job. :thumbsup:

Edited by jhsmurray, 21 August 2007 - 01:10 PM.

Acer Aspire 5732z

#8 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

Ahh nice job. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help, I'm glad I can have both again! I just wonder why Linksys wasn't able to help me do that, or recommend that I try that. Oh well. gk :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users