Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Running Games: Bf 1942

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 muzzleloade

muzzleloade

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:23 PM

hello

I am having problems with my Dell latitude D820, when running a video game, after about 7-10 minutes

the game slows way down, then after a few more minutes the game speeds back up again. It does

this over and over again, with any game I play, on every level of graphic detail. This problem started a few

months ago, but nothing I did fixed the problem. I finally gave up and reformatted my hard drive and reinstalling

Windows XP, thinking this a fool proof solution. But after completing the reinstall, the problem persists, so I think

there might be a hardware problem. I have run Dell diagnostics thoroughly and have found no problems. Any

help I could receive would be appreciated!!

System Specs:

Dell Latitude D820
Windows XP SP2
2.5GB RAM
nVidia Quadro NVS 120m 512Mb GPU
Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz
60Gb 7200rpm HHD

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:43 AM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer! This sounds like your computer is overheating. Try blowing some air through it (canned air works great). Also, have you updated your graphics driver?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 muzzleloade

muzzleloade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:31 PM

I have been through many drivers, trying to find one that might fix the problem, old and new,

right now I am using a modded INF nVidia driver from march 2006. None of the drivers really

effected the slowness, so I don't think it's a driver problem. I'll try what I can to keep the comp

cooler and see if that doesn't fix it... although I don't think thats the problem, because it never

had overheating problems before....

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:50 PM

1. What card do you have? Is the fan working OK? Not making any noise and moving along nicely while these slow periods are going on?
2. The card may be reacting to overheating with ample measures but then when it cools down the fan speed slows down and you heat up again. BF1942 is a pretty demanding game for even new-ish cards.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 muzzleloade

muzzleloade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:18 AM

Thank you very much for all the help, it was an overheating problem.

I have started using a program called I8kfanGUI, which lets me manually

control my fan speed. If anybody knows of any other programs that might

work better, or any cheap ways to keep the laptop cool, I would be grateful

to hear them. Thanks again!

#6 jball007

jball007

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

You need to remember games like BF2143 BF1942 BF2 and other Games like those are super taxing on the graphics card and overheating is much easier in these games.

Have you tried lowering your settings in the game to see if that may be the problem?

Opps sorry didn't read the whole post didn't see that you fixed the problem :thumbsup: Congrats!

"I Came to Bring The Pain"

Posted Image

System: Core 2 Duo @ 2.44, Asus WIFI P5B mobo, Radeon 1950XT gcard, 2x1GB Memory, LITE-ON x2 DVD/CD drives, Aerocool Case, AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler, AeroCool 92mm Heatsink W/2 80m Fans Mounted on it, (3) 120m Fans on Case, (1) 220m Fan on Case, 150g HDD 10K RPM (For random stuff), 75G HDD 15k RPM (For Gaming)... Thermaltake (4) 12v rail PSU...THE END!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users