Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying Pop-up From My Zonealarm...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:45 PM

I have AVG Anti-Spyware v7.5 installed in my system, with a real-time Resident Shield.

Trouble is, every hour or so when the AVG scans for spies in my system it prompts a warning notice from my ZoneAlarm anti-virus software which I have to then click to 'Allow'.

I've looked at my ZAlarm list of programmes to be accepted, but there's nothing there that I can see to tick so that ZAlarm won't keep pestering me with these warning notices.

I've tried to register with the 'AVG Free' forum site -- but I keep getting a "site-down try later" notice from them.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Bone Idol, 20 August 2007 - 09:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:30 PM

I presume you're using ZA free.
Please, next time you get the alert, click Remember this answer, and Allow it.
ZA should then add the AS application to the programs list (if not already there).
AS will have to have two green checks from the left - but do not give it any server rights.
Each component of your AS, or AV for that matter, should be in the list of Programs whether they are checkers, updaters, schedulers. Just make sure that at most two green checks are there. The only thing that needs 3 checks is svchost (generic host process), and I suppose IM applications if you use that sort of thing.

If any of the above didn't help, please quote the EXACT message in the alert and we'll take it from there.
Do you know whether the AVG AS needs to go out for definitions every hour or are definitions loaded up just once a day?

Edited by tos226, 20 August 2007 - 10:33 PM.

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for your interest, tos226.

I'm using the bought version of ZoneAlarm Anti-virus. Clicking the 'Remember this' box before clicking 'Allow' or 'Deny' always works... except when I use Irfanview or when my AVG Anti-spyware is doing a routine scan every hour or so.

The AVG Anti-spyware Resident Shield automatically updates every 60 minutes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:06 PM

Disclaimer - I use neither Irfanview nor AVG, so you're really in great hands :thumbsup: let's hope some of this solves the annoyannces for you.

Your first alert is about Irfanview trying to run Epson printer driver. If that's a printer you have installed (or such driver exists), allow it. Or in Program control give trusted rights for that driver (2-3 green bars?).

ZAPro watches one program trying to start another or run DLLs and other such things to protect OS, and this is an example. If you trust i_view32.exe main application, I would tell ZA in the program control to trust it. If you could set i_view32.exe to "?" the alert should give you an option to remember the setting. Shut off Smart Advisor so you can be in control what you want done. I think all my rambling boils down to - if you trust it, set it so up front.

Sure is a lot of entries for AVG! If some are duplicates, remove them after checking properties or looking at the bottom of the screen to see what .exe runs. You have one line with red x, perhaps that one is causing the alert, that's the one near the top. Then something at the bottom might be the updater launch? If it is, unblocking it might eliminate the alerts.
Does AVG AS normally rewrite the hosts file? Check the date, check the contents. I would think they'd monitor changes there.

While you're at it, is internet access really needed to control center and basic interface? As I said, I don't know AVG but it seems to me these should be totally local and trusted zone only unless they must go out of course. Your decision which you can base on the alerts if you put "?" there.

I'm not familiar with Irfanview. It has few links on the site which aren't theirs, so it might be something AS is blocking. I blocked it and the site seems to work. There are links to
www at gismo dot at
www at domainunion dot de
Might be harmless. Might be spyware.
It could be that AS is trying to edit the hosts file to suppress third-party links.

Or it could be as simple as them trying to read the file, i.e. open it, which ZA-Pro OS control interprets as a possible attempt at modification.

Look in some sections of ZAPro (I don't recall where it is) - you're likely protecting the hosts file. If not, make sure it's protected from changes. Then go over to AVG forum and try to find out whether they rewrite the hosts file or just check it for illegal changes during the AS scan or updates.

Regarding what to alert - Off the bat it's the same list I'm used to, so I guess it's ok.

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for your very comprehensive reply, tos226 - much appreciated.

I'll look into all that you have suggested - and fingers crossed - the solution may be there!

:thumbsup:

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

You're welcome. Now, here's more reading for you, so by now something's gotta work from the wild assortment of things

Hosts file - some interesting replies by jarvis that might help you (ignore the fact the thread is a bit old, I think the principles are the same and the settings make sense to me). I found it interesting even though AVG is not an issue for me, but I do use the hosts file to block scumware
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=42595

In case you need a list of all the AVG executables to include in the programs list, see here
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=31851
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=31853

It appears that you have company :thumbsup:
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=15654

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:47 AM

Thanks again, tos226! :thumbsup:

I solved the ZoneAlarm's persistent pop-up notice every time I used Irfanview. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I more or less ticked the 'allow' box for it in the ZAlarm's control panel.

As for ZoneAlarm's hourly warning pop-up for my AVG Anti-spyware - I haven't been able to solve that one yet.

I'll check out your links.

Thanks again! :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users