Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Slow Bittorrent Speeds

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

hi, i'm having really slow bittorrent speeds. on torrent's where its very healthy, and lots of seeders, i'm dwlding on an average of 5KB/s only (on lots that i've tried b4)

i've tried guides to help me speed up, eg. http://www.slyck.com/story493.html, http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/73686,

and they all basically tell me to forward the ports needed on my router, which i've done, but still nothing.

i have a inexq router, behind cable modem internet.

thxs.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 20 August 2007 - 10:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:33 PM

try using portforward. the guide is at portforward.com

#3 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

As I've said, I've already tried doing that.

#4 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:13 PM

port forward is not a guide, its asetup you do using your static ip and a port for your bittorent client,before you say no hows about you actually try it..last post for you

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

Has the client you're using confirmed that the proper ports are opened? In utorrent (which is the client you probably should be using), this is confirmed by a green checkbox in the bottom status bar.

Remember that you have to open the port your client is using, and if you're using a software firewall like Norton Personal Firewall, or XP's built-in firewall, you have to open the ports on that as well.
Posted Image

#6 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

Well...i'm using bitcomet...and i set it to use port 7785..and i tried using http://canyouseeme.org/ to check if the port was open, but the msg was: Error: I could not see your service on 24.87.110.202 on port (7785) Reason: Connection refused. As mentioned above, i've set my router to port forward the port, as well Norton's Firewall...

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:29 AM

Norton could be blocking it still, it's notorious for blocking out your connections when it says it's working properly.

Also to doublecheck, I believe you have to have both the TCP and UDP protocols opened for the port you specify.
Posted Image

#8 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:36 PM

Yup....I've forwarded both TCP and UDP ports..

tried turning off norton's firewall....didnt help though..

#9 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:27 PM

Try a higher point range, ive been told that lower ports commonly used for P2P are slowed down by ISP's for that reson. i use port 41995 im on 7Mb/s ( In new zealand ) i get slow speeds for the connection anyway but i can get up to around 100Kbs.

#10 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:45 PM

try using portforward. the guide is at portforward.com

port forward is not a guide, its asetup you do using your static ip and a port for your bittorent client,before you say no hows about you actually try it..last post for you

to not confuse ppl, why don't you get your facts straight first, before u say something?
and, how do you know i didn't try it before posting back?

i appreciate u giving that website, but if u can't help, let someone else help.

#11 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

I never use torrents unless I absolutely have to, but I've been reading lately about many Internet Providers throttling down the speeds when they detect their customers using torrent file sharing. They're doing something with cutting the seeders. I can't explain it in a technical way, but that might be part of the slow down too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users