Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thumb Drive Not Detected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

I'm trying to use a thumb drive to boot into a Linux LiveCD, however when I get into my BIOS and visit the boot setting and removable media, it says it hasn't detected any removable media, even though my drive is attached the computer. is there anyway to fix this?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

It's possible the drive is damaged, that maybe it got wet or something? Does it work on other computers?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 OmegamB

OmegamB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

Windows detects in when its booted, but the BIOS doesn't when I try to boot from it. It is not damaged and works on other computers.

Posted Image

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:11 AM

It may be that your system isn't capable of booting from a USB device.
Since it's a Linux Live CD, try booting to the CD rather than the USB device.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

I bet you didn't make the drive bootable before trying to boot from it. A search on google for your distro + usb boot should be able to show you the way. I.E. I installed backtrack on a usb drive and all I had to do was copy it all over and then run an included batch file to make it bootable. It just installed a boot loader and set the active flag. Hope that helps!

Edit: In my bios, booting from "usb drive" doesn't work either, I have to go into hard drives > fancy name of my usb drive.

Edited by T, 22 August 2007 - 07:38 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users