Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Failed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

On the computer of mine that crashed, apparently the hard drive failed and it scraped a few things off with it. Is there a program that detects damaged files and will tell me what those files are? It's apparently only stuff in my account, and some pictures are half-missing their thumbnails, but with programs, videos, and music, it's hard to tell what is damaged. Can anyone help?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:16 AM

A good freeware program is PCInspector File Recovery ( http://www.pcinspector.de ) But it is a bit confusing to use.

A good program for checking your drive for what you can recover is provided at http://www.runtime.org (it's called GetDataBack) - it's easy to use and it's free to check and see what's recoverable. BUT, it's a bit expensive ($80 US) if you choose to use it to recover your stuff.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

That's not exactly what I wanted, sorry. I'll explain in a little more detail, and maybe you can help. Most of the things in my documents, not all, have been half-damaged, don't ask me why, I wish they had been totally wiped. I want a program that finds damaged files, tells me what those damaged files are, and then deletes them. Any programs like that?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users