Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format 98

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

Ok I cant believe Im asking this but Im a bit stuck! To make along story short: Have Pc with a corrupted 98 on it (wont boot but who cares) so I got out my old 98 SE boot disk to format but on the boot disk I have Fdisk (thats OK) but I want to access the Format command which is in a cab file which I cant get to on the 98 pc in DOS. (ok I forgot how to do it :flowers: ). Now if my memory serves me correct when you boot up with the boot floppy it makes a ram drive...I think, then it unpaks the CAB files into the ram drive....I hope. So how do I access them as I have not been able to locate the unpacked CAB files......or am I on the wrong track here????????
My DOS commands are alittle rusty so you might have to explain it all again...... :thumbsup:

Thanks for any help!
MCP
MSDST

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:21 PM

I don't know if I'm even close to what you're asking but....whenever I wanted to reinstall my old Windows Me fresh, this is what I did.

(Assuming you aren't making any new partitions and are reinstalling on the same hdd, you probably won't need to do fdisk first. But you can do fdisk again to make sure everything is fresh. Then proceed to format the drive.)

I just put in my Windows Me boot disk and when the A prompt came up, I just typed in "format c:" (without the quotes and a space between format and c). When formatting was done, then I think all you have to do at the next A prompt is type the drive that has your Win 98 cd (it's probably changed to E drive if you have no partitions), and then type in the setup command to start the installation from the cd and press enter. It should look something like this:

A:\>format c:
(press Enter)

If for some reason you don't get the A prompt back, try typing A:\> and Enter. If it comes up, then put in E: and carry on.. (see below) If that doesn't work, then just reboot and then start from here. (I don't remember if the A prompt comes up again automatically after formatting.)

after formatting:
A:\>E:
(Enter)
E:\>win9X\Setup.exe
(Enter)

It's been a long time since I've done it, but I think just typing Setup.exe got the installation started for me.

#3 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

There is my problem a:>\ can not format C; as the format command is in the cab file which I cant access.
MCP
MSDST

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

Monty, your recollection is correct. If the Win98 Startup Disk is working right, during bootup Autoexec.bat will create a RAMdrive and extract the CAB file contents to it. It will then post a message "The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D:" or whatever the letter is. Ordinarily it would be the first available drive letter, after those assigned to all the FAT partitions on the computer's hard drive, so if the entire hard drive is one partition, it would be D. The CDROM drive would be assigned the letter after that.

So, to access the RAMdrive, just type in at the command prompt

D:

or whatever the letter is. then press <Enter> The prompt will change to that letter. Then you can type in Dir and press <Enter> to get a list of all the tools, Format.com should be one of them.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DaveM59, 20 August 2007 - 09:42 PM.

#5 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:44 AM

Thanks Dave you put me on the right path. All I had to do was extract the cab files out and I had access to the format command :thumbsup:
Now once I have formated c: will I still have access to the cdrom? or do I have to copy drivers some where.......hell I havn't done this for ages...lol. Or does 98 handle the cdrom drivers as I remember you had to do a sys/copy or am I thinking of 95....?
MCP
MSDST

#6 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:44 AM

The short answer is no. DOS does not natively support optical drives.

For DOS to see a CDROM, you need two files on the disk:

MSCDEX.EXE

Oakcdrom.sys (or another CDROM driver file, it will always have the extension .SYS).

Then you need two lines in your startup files.

The AUTOEXEC.BAT file must contain the line

MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM% It may have something else after the L: rather than %CDROM% like an actual drive letter. The line also may may begin with LH to load the driver into high memory, but this is the basic structure.

The CONFIG.SYS file (which can be opened in Notepad, if you don't get an Edit option when you right click it select Open with) must contain the line

device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001

I suggest you go to this webpage and download the Windows 98 SE OEM boot disk image file. It's an .exe, just run it on any Windows computer that has a floppy drive installed. It has all the right files on it, no muss, no fuss. I suggest you use a brand new floppy to make the boot disk. It will give you access to the CD-ROM drive from the command line.

Edited by DaveM59, 21 August 2007 - 06:45 AM.

#7 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:51 AM

Ah well done dave :thumbsup: It was all coming back to me :flowers: The link is just what I needed, thanks again.
MCP
MSDST

#8 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:53 AM

You're welcome. Glad I could help. :thumbsup:

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:01 AM

Another link I've always have bookmarked
http://fdisk.radified.com/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:07 AM

Another good linkgarmanma.
MCP
MSDST