Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade To N1 Isn't Working Out So Well

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 msmcfad

msmcfad

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:49 PM

I thought I would upgrade our network to newer technology and hopefully get more speed and coverage. That's what the description on the box said anyway. I bought a Belkin N1 wireless router to replace our Linksys WRT54G v2.2. I also bought a Belkin N1 USB and two N1 Wireless Notebook cards.

Setup was fairly simple. I have three notebooks and one desktop and am using WPA-PSK security. However. For starters, the desktop, which is one floor directly above the router, will not connect at all. The computer "sees" neighbor's networks from six houses away and connect to the unsecured ones, but cannot even see the Belkin N1 router one floor directly below it. This same computer connected to the Linksys 54G with five bars, so it shouldn't be in interference issue.

The notebooks are all on the same floor as the Belkin router, but generally connect with fewer bars than they did to the 54G, and although speeds of up to 300 are mentioned (I know, I know), the reality is far different. The speed varies so greatly from one moment to the next and often sits at single digit Mbps. At that point web pages won't load.

My husband was having trouble sending email through his VPN connection, although I did not have similar problems on my notebook through a different VPN. I fiddled with the channel and security settings and so far he's been able to send email again. However, he's getting very frustrated with the variable Mbps situation. At this point we are pretty much slower and have less range than we did with the 54G.

It seems like I made a mistake upgrading, unless there are some tweaks I don't know about. Belkin customer service has been absolutely miserable. I mean it's been a really horrible experience to even deal with their customer support. What's with all the hype about faster and further with the N technology?

Recommendations? I still have my 54G (with latest firmware from Linksys which is still quite old). I also still have our old Linksys Wireless-G adapters. I need to get this sorted out as I would like to add a slingbox to the mix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users