Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yoyo Message Upon Booting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bowersad

bowersad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

I've begun experiencing a strange problem with my computer today. When I woke up this morning it was at the DMI Pool verification screen after POSTing with only the message "YoYo" (or actually Y∞Y∞) at the bottom of the screen.

There doesn't seem to be too much information out there on this error, but it definitely looks malicious. I noticed that the most recent posting on this problem was on this site, but there was no resolution.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...YoYo+boot+error

I had just installed XP on the machine yesterday over top of Windows 2000. I had only finally decided to go to XP because of an incompatibility with the latest drivers for my graphics card (ATI x1900), so I had updated those drivers after installing XP and rebooted several times without issue, and I had left the computer running overnight. Of course I hadn't made a recovery disk yet, so I can't try that. I can boot from the WinXP CD and start the installation over again, but as soon as it reboots, the error message simply comes back, and booting to the CD only starts from the beginning. It does not seem to recognize that there is an installation of XP on the machine already or that a new one is being attempted, but it does seem to see the two partitions I have on the drive (one 80 GB and one 240 GB).

Searching on Y∞Y∞ is basically useless, and even though there appears to be a boot virus out there called YoYo 1271 or something like that, I have not been able to confirm a description of it like the problem I am experiencing.

Any one have any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blender

Blender

I will eat your Malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:44 AM

Hi,

Sorry for delay. Still having problems?

I assume the drive is still unbootable? NTFS or FAT32?

I don't how much help I can give as some of it seems a little advanced for me but I did find this:

http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-...oyo-1271-a.html

4 page thread with several people last year with similar issues. look similar?
Wether or not you want to try some of what bandit429 and others suggested in that thread or not I don't know.
Before you try anything there...

You have a second computer you can slave the affected drive to to at least recover data?

Hate to say it this early but you likely are going to end up formatting. As you can see in the above link they all had to.
I'd be going after data recovery before trying much else first if you have stuff you don't want to lose.

Anyway... let me know

I'll have an order of massive trojan attack please with a side order of rootkit and virus dip.
Pre-course order of fresh spyware salad please with a side order of polymorphic dressing.
And to drink...a nice tall glass of adware!

For dessert; can I have a bowl of the freshest worms you have please?.

Never Give Up!

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users