Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Pop-ups

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn(75)

Shawn(75)

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:31 PM

hello, I have a new Toshiba Laptop for work, i recently downloaded some music and ever since i opened one of the files, I have been getting FLOODED with unwanted pop-ups. lets start with the obvious, "yes" I have my pop up blocker enabled both from the "tools" tab as well as the yahoo toolbar. the system adminst. here does not have any kind of virus protection to speak of, I got the name of what I suspected tobe the bad file by Macafee warning me that a program called "REDATPU 2000373" was trying to access the internet and asked me if I wanted to allow it. I said NO and then all of the pop ups came flooding in.

I Googled the file name I typed above and found this site, I found a forum where someone posted the same exact problem and was given a site to go to to download a fix. the fix instructions wew listed (the forum as it reads on the bottom of my printed copy of the page is" www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic103236.html) The direction of the person who replied (richieuk) was to download a program called combofix and save it to my desktop. I did that, the popups have stopped (THANKS) but there were some additional instructions that said to post a new "hijackthis" log. then it is followed by a long list of commands. the person helping said that some additonal files needed to be deleted. thats where i'm stuck. what is this report? how do i view it to compar what is on the site to whats on my p.c? and how do i proceed?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
I KNOW THIS IS A LITTLE WORDY, BUT I THINK IT DESCRIBES (THE BEST I CAN) WHATS GOING ON.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

Hello Shawn(75) and :thumbsup: Bleeping Computer.

For more information on posting a HijackThis log, see the following link:

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Shawn(75)

Shawn(75)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I WILL CHECK INTO THIS TONITE!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users