Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Bad

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 shrtfuze

shrtfuze

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

Ok so my computer was working fine about a day ago. But as of today when I go to turn the main power supply on the computer itself turns on as in the fans the D drive, etc but like the monitor doesnt display, and it doesnt seem like the hard drive isnt working either. As in the harddrive doesnt seem to give any commmand to the computer so it doesnt even load any start up programs or even the windows.

EDIT: Moved to more apropriate forum and added topic description ~ stevealmighty

Edited by stevealmighty, 20 August 2007 - 04:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shrtfuze

shrtfuze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

so noone can help me with this problem???

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

Does the computer display anything at all - even the BIOS screen? What causes you to think that the hard drive isn't working?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 shrtfuze

shrtfuze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

the screen doesnt display anything at all. the computer turns on as in the power is fine. but then it doesnt load anything at all. and once in a while the computer makes it to the start up screen but then immediatly freezes. I think its the hard drive or cpu because the green light that shows teh hard drive doesnt come on when the power is just on but when it does the computer does load. So im confused and dont know whats wrong

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:17 PM

Not a problem - the first thing to do is to see if you can boot from a bootable CD. Since you suspect the hard drive, I'd suggest that you download a bootable utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive and try booting to that to test your hard drive. Let us know the results and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 shrtfuze

shrtfuze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

umm ill do that when i get home.

for the boot up disk where can i find it since I think the hard drive is just some generic one.
or will there still be a name on there

#7 shrtfuze

shrtfuze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:02 PM

I might be stupid but I cant find any boot up software for my hard drive

its a western digital
WD400EB

can anyone help this might solve my problem

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

good tool for times like this
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 shrtfuze

shrtfuze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

downloaded the bootup program and put it in using a disc nothing happened.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

you have to go into bios and select boot to cd?

test the cd on another computer to see if you did it right
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 shrtfuze

shrtfuze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:01 PM

yea it works but i cant even see the screen on the one that isnt working. So im not sure how to get it to work. Should i take out my video card its pgraded and stick with the one that came integrated into the computer

#12 shrtfuze

shrtfuze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:37 AM

well the hard drive starts to spin and run but it doesnt do anything. Could a bad motherboard be the reason why the computer isnt starting up

well the hard drive starts to spin and run but it doesnt do anything. Could a bad motherboard be the reason why the computer isnt starting up

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:56 AM

If you have access to another computer you could install your hdd as a slave and see if your can see any of you files, do not install it as the master as this could corrupt your operating system.

Edited by dc3, 21 August 2007 - 03:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:18 AM

Does the computer get past the post screen, Does it beep at all? Since you have no video you won't be able to actually see the post screen but if its posting properly it should beep. Providing the motherboard is working correctly.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#15 shrtfuze

shrtfuze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

no beep, all i hear when the power turns on are the fans spinning and the hard drive spin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users