Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jansbob

jansbob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

I just upgraded from XP to Vista. Didn't make recovery disks after the upgrade. The recovery disk for XP won't work. I have tried to safe boot, but it doesn't work. Keeps going back to the screen that tells me to run recovery disks.I am running a 1yr old HP Pentium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jansbob

jansbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

P.S. I have run system recovery several times to no avail. Can't get to program inside of Vista to run system recovery from accessories which is what I want to do if I can safe boot.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:47 PM

There are several different options available to you - most of which depend upon if you want to save any data before starting over. FWIW - I never recommend upgrading from one OS to another. Then chances of incompatibilities popping up is just too great.

What kind of XP and Vista installation CD/DVD's do you have?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jansbob

jansbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

I have none, but Microsoft is sending me installation disk for Vista which they will solve the problem.

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

usasma, I might have been one of the lucky ones with upgrading to Vista from my XP :huh:

I had XP Pro on my laptop...I bought Vista Business [upgrade] DVD ...not an oem! I did a 'clean install' and I haven't had any problems on my laptop with this upgrade.

If one pays attention to what their doing with upgrading, then the OS will, or should work according to plan. If the XP was infected by malware and an upgrade was done over the top, then you are asking for more problems then it was worth.

Looking at this topic:

Computer tells me can't load win.exe

....this most certainly could have been malware/virus from the former OS

my 2 cent tip :huh:

Edited by Jacee, 20 August 2007 - 09:42 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:52 AM

In general you'll be faced with 2 options when upgrading to Vista - an "upgrade" and a "custom" install. Choosing the upgrade is where the problems come from. This issue was well documented with XP, so it was watched for in Vista. Basically, when you upgrade you bring all the issues from your old OS into the new one - and some of those things may just not play well with Vista - so the chances of a broken installation are much greater.

The "custom" installation prevents this by, in effect, giving you a clean install of Vista (and avoids the "upgrade" issues). Unfortunately, using this method requires some extra effort to save your documents and settings and import them after the installation is completed. I have found this (with numerous Vista installs under my belt) to be the way to go. In fact, the only "upgrade" that has ever worked for me was when I participated in the Vista beta upgrade from Business to Ultimate - it worked flawlessly for me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users