Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 neonick

neonick

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

I had a weird problem with firefox for a while. After booting up my computer in the morning, I would try to load Firefox, but all it would do is have a blank progress bar and the little circle thing at the top right would spin. If I left it and let it try to load, the PC would reboot. If I closed it out, the system would stall and I wouldn't be able to open anything for about 15-20 seconds. After that, the Firefox would run just fine. I recently upgraded the RAM and that had no effect on it so I cleared all of my remembered passwords and only had Firefox remember a select few (for the websites that I go to the most) and that seemed to have fixed the problem. Any idea what was going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

Hi neonick,

There are many reasons why Firefox will Hang.

It can be caused by extensive use with multiple tabs open,Problematic Extensions and using page History.
It's good practice to keep your Cache cleared to keep the browser running smoothly.

For more on this have a look at the MozillaZine article: Firefox Hangs.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

1: I do keep my cache clean. I use CCleaner a lot to clean it out.

2: I doubt it it an extension because the problem away when I cleaned out all of my saved passwords.

3: It cannot be a multiple tabs problem because I only start FF with a single window and no tabs.

4: I still don't see how this can cause the computer to restart.

Not only did it restart when I opened FF directly, but it would restart in the middle of playing games or whenever it felt like restarting. The only way to stop it from randomly restarting was to open firefox through a program. Like I would open CCleaner and click "Check for updates" and it would open FF and everything would work fine from there.

#4 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

Might have something to do with Nvidia Display drivers. Seemed to get worse when I updated the drivers. Possible conflict with my skin (black japan)?

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

Can you reproduce the problem when using Firefox's safe mode? Or by creating a clean test profile?

Although it's pretty rare that Firefox would cause a machine to reboot entirely, the worst it's known to do is crash or hang and have to be restarted, if the entire OS is going down you probably have other driver and/or hardware issues.
Posted Image

#6 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

I'm not sure what it is. I replaced the RAM thinking that was it and got nowhere. The video card was recently upgraded and I just updated to the latest drivers for the card. I got rid of a couple of extensions, one of which needed to access the internet as soon as FF is started, so that might help. I haven't tried Firefox's safe mode yet, but would that narrow the problem down to an extension or my theme? If I could find something that looks like Black Japan that is designed for FF 2, that'd be nice. But the closest I could find has a bunch of red crap on it. I'll have to try that test profile. But all I know is that if FF hangs when starting it after I first boot my PC, it will eventually reboot the PC if I leave it alone. If I close it out, the system stalls for a short time and runs fine afterwards. I hope it is something as simple as an extension.

UPDATE: I don't get the problem when starting Firefox's safemode. Must be a bad extension or theme.

Edited by neonick, 28 August 2007 - 11:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users