Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boss Spilled Coffee On Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bpierce

bpierce

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:06 AM

Yes, one of my lawyers spilled coffee on his laptop and now it won't even turn on. I have been spraying it with compressed air to dry it. Is there a way to take the keyboard off to dry underneath it or is it fried? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

On most notebooks there is a plastic strip near the space bar that is pried off. It will have 2 to 3 screws that must be removed. Once removed lift the lower edge of the keyboard and it should come out.
If you give the Maker and model we could fine you a diagram I am sure.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

1. If warranty is in effect, you could have it professionaly serviced (this of course depends on the service contract).

2. Remind your lawyer that the cd tray is not a coffee cup holder (sorry couldnt resist :thumbsup: )

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 bpierce

bpierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

It is a Compaq nc6320. I think he may have fried it as it won't even turn on. I will check on the warranty, I didn't know they would cover coffee. If anyone can find a diagram, I would be forever indebted. I am going to get a lot of mileage out of this one with this attorney!!!

#5 bpierce

bpierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:49 PM

Okay, I now have the computer up and running after much compressed air. I know the keyboard will most likely become sticky underneath, how might I clean it? Can I take the keyboard out somehow? Thanks for any help

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

This should be the disassembly guide: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/...2/c00805752.pdf

If you can get the keyboard out, then you should be able to rise it out and reinstall it, AFTER you make sure the keyboard has fully dried out after several hours. I would use slightly warm water to help dissolve the sugar and cream and such.
Posted Image

#7 bpierce

bpierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:23 PM

Okay, keyboard all clean now the display is almost blacked out, looks kinda like a photo negative. Is there any way to fix that? Thanks so much for the manual, it has helped immensely. You folks are incredible!!!!!!!

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

If you can still see the display but it's very dim, then it's likely the LCD backlight has gone out.
This can be from a faulty LCD, or bad LCD inverter. An inverter isn't terribly expensive to replace, although for getting a whole new LCD you may as well buy a new computer for the cost.

Either way you're going to have to take it to service center or call a repair tech to get it fixed, it's not a novice job.
Posted Image

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:51 AM

I'm sorry, but I just can't resist! :flowers: Have him sue himself for damages! Bwah...ha....haaaaaa!!!! :thumbsup:

Seriously tho', have it looked at by a smaller computer shop in the area. Most of the larger places (BestBuy, Target, WalMart, etc) use service centers to fix these things - and they've got to send it away for that. A smaller shop should be able to test it and give you an estimate for the repair and the time that it will take.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users