Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compiz-fusion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

I'm running the latest version on Compiz-Fusion 0.5.2 with the nvidia GLX Driver.
I now want to add the Kiba Dock, but to my knowledge, avant window manager is necessary.
Has anyone had any experiences with the Kiba Dock?

If so, what can you tell me about the install process?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:25 AM

To make clear what KIBA IS and ISN'T
The kiba dock as an add-in component of Compiz-Fusion (3d window manager using XGL, although i'm uncertain about this, but the concept is the same)
See wikipedia for information about XGL and compiz-fusion. The dock can mimic the OS X dock and a whole lot more. It provides a physics engine that runs partially off of the GPU, and frequently makes system calls through compiz-fusion. Some of this info about interaction with XGL and system calls may be incorrect. This is Bleeding edge software so I'm still getting to know it. Bleeding edge = development unstable.

The akamaru physics engine allows your icons to be "thrown" as it were which is a fun parlor trick to show off to your friends. Further you can put upolstery so to speak on the dock itself. One guys made his a leopard print, which I thought was hilarious.
The Kiba dock along with Compiz-Fusion should go on a computer which you can fool around with or on a seperate hard drive. Current technology is recommended for Kiba-Dock, but not necessary for it to run. Kiba has a good possibilty of slowing your computer on older hardware. Compiz Fusion may as well, you could run beryl or compiz on old hardware, but you would not be able to effectively run KIBA DOCK so far as I'm aware as it requires Compiz-Fusion.

THIS is meant to be a quick helper for installing KIBA-DOCK after Compiz-Fusion is up and functional.

I'm responding to my own post as I've found the answers from the source. I have the current Kiba Dock installed thanks to Daniel one of the project
leads. Kiba must be downloaded from svn repo on the projects website. I'm not going to post the How-two here due to the project's ever changing
packages. I'll Post the links to the proper sites later.

After downloading VIA the project's SVN server, you have to generate a useable set of packages using ./autogen.sh followed by a simple "make" command, then "make install" all from the command line. this is VERY important to due in order and start with the "akamaru" physics engine which will be in "~/desktop/kiba/trunk". In fact, all necessary folders are in the trunk folder. DO NOT run any commands against the other binaries, some of which are incomplete support files. That could trash your destop environment. (such as gnome or kde) It's not likely but I've seen it happen.
Move through the files as recommended by the tutorial on kiba's website. (kiba-dock.org) Click on wiki over on the left of the page and then click on how to install.

IMPORTANT Before you ever install the said dock. Make sure you have all of the required libraries installed. On Ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn do this by searching with the Synaptic Package Manager which is a front end GUI tool for APT. These are out of the scope of this response so please google them if you don't know what I'm referring to.

One of the packages is a Virtual package, IE NOT REAL in the sense of a seperate library. Upon researching this. Virtual packages refer to a set of tools that get the job of specific system or install processes completed. Ergo, two packages make up that VIRTUAL package, which you will never find because it doesn't exist. Would have been nice for that to be explained on the web-site. That was the bain of my existance for two nights. :-) So, when the mystery package isn't found KNOW that it's only there in fuctionality not a seperate mythical creature.

Once all packages are installed, begin the compiling process as stated. SKIP Epiphany and Gaim plugins, as they currently do not work.

YOU MUST execute the commands exactly as shown in the tutorial or the install will most certainly fail. This wasn't well explained in regards to user PREFIX for all of you NOOBS who want to have a "cool" desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users