Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1719 Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

I was attempting to download .Net Framework and during the install process I received an error 1719. It said I may be trying to download in safe mode, but I am not. I Googled around and found the following and would like to know is this sounds like a logical fix and if so how would I go about renaming the "msiexec and DLL's" they are speaking of.

Error 1719 occurs when the msiexec.exe program becomes disassociated with .msi files. Under Windows XP x32 this is usually fixed with rebooting into safe mode, renaming the msiexec and DLL's and letting Windows File Protection reinstall them

Any other suggestions for a fix would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

thewall
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:35 AM

The second solution here seems a tad better
Mark

http://support.microsoft.com
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

Thanks, garmanma

I like the instructions you provided.

I need to ask another question here and it is probably something I should know, but I would rather ask and sound dumb than not ask and screw up.

When following the instructions you linked to it says to make sure and back up the registry before proceeding. Now my understanding from reading other things is Windows XP Home cannot be backed-up in a normal fashion. In that case does the restore points serve the same purpose anytime you are fooling around in the registry.

thewall
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:10 PM

We probably have a tutorial on it but I can't locate it. This is the explanation I use, if it's not too confusing

"Click Start, and then click Run. In the Run box, type “regedit” (without “) , and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Export. In the Save in box, select the boxes at the bottom according to whether you want to export all or only selected branches of the registry.

Next select a location in which to save the backup .reg file. In the File name box, type a file name, and then click Save.

How to Restore the Registry

To restore registry keys that you exported, double-click the .reg file that you saved."
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

Thanks a lot!

Posted Image

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:12 AM

Here's the Bleeping Computer mini-guide.

How To Back Up The Registry

Personally, I prefer to use ERUNT to backup the registry.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users