Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Suddenly Died, Motherboard Or Cpu Problem?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thesweetestone

thesweetestone

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

My pc suddenly died while I was using it. At the time I was doing nothing more than surfing the net with one browser open. I heard a pop (like a balloon popping) and the pc slowly died like the current was being drained. There was no power outage at the time, plus it was connected to a surge protector. All other things connected to the power bar are still working fine. There was no smoke or burnt smell. When I opened the case I could hear something loose in the power supply so I figured that was the prob & replaced it with a brand new one. The pc is still dead. Nothing happens when I try to turn it on. I have tried removing all of the components one by one & still no luck. The only sign of life is the little green light next to the PCI slots on the mobo. I have not tried to remove the processor as of yet... Is the problem the motherboard or the processor? How can I tell? (I don't have another pc to test with.) Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:02 AM

All I can suggest is to remove the mobo and take a real close look at all the resistors and capacitors for any burning or disfiguration. A magnifying glass will help.
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 20 August 2007 - 09:03 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 thesweetestone

thesweetestone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:24 AM

I looked, and I don't see anything that looks out-of-sorts. Everything looks fine... Should I try removing the cpu & putting it back? Could that help at all?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

If a component on the motherboard fried you will be able to smell it, and if it went pop I would look for a electrolytic capacitor to have gone off. [usl=http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5]This[/url] article will show you what this type of cap looks like and what a failed on looks like. I would also look closely in the area on the motherboard where the PSU connects.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 thesweetestone

thesweetestone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

I looked it over closely, there's no bulges, no oozing, no burnt marks... everything looks ok. Since the green light by the PCI slots are lighting up does that mean that there is power going through the mobo? Should I reseat my CPU?

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

Yes, your mobo is powered on if there are any lights on at all. Before you touch the thing you should unplug it and press the power button to drain all remaining power and then you should ground yourself either with an ESD bracelet or by touching something metal.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#7 thesweetestone

thesweetestone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

OK... so does that mean that the processor is the problem? I'm a little new at this, sorry for the questions. I have yet to remove the cpu. Like I said there's absolutely nothing happening when I try to turn it on except for the LED light coming on. Should I just go ahead & buy a new cpu?

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:49 PM

No, just because the light is on in your mobo only means that THAT one light is getting power. We don't know if the rest of the mobo is working. You'll have to try it on someone else's computer.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

Since the motherboard will not POST, no beeps, no visuals on the monitor I would suspect the motherboard is bad. Usually (not in ALL cases) if one component is bad the motherboard will POST and fail due to the bad component. You best option would be to take the computer or just the CPU and RAM to a computer shop and pay to have them tested some shops may due it for free if you buy the replacement component from them ( the motherboard ) this may be cheaper then buying one online then paying them to test the components. If The CPU was bad the motherboard should tell you unless the motherboard AND the CPU are bad then theres no real way to tell accept try it in another computer.

Edit: Are you using integrated graphics or a Add on Graphics card? If its the latter then you should have that tested too just in case it was damaged when things went awry

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 August 2007 - 04:17 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 thesweetestone

thesweetestone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

OK, thanks, I will see if I can find someone to check it out for me. I'll post my result. If anyone else has any advice please let me know!

Here are my specs, I had forgotten to post them:

PSU 450W ATX
Asus A7N8X-X
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (not 100% sure on the speed)
Kingston RAM PC3200, 2 X 512Gig & 1 X 256Gig
HD Maxtor 40 Gig
HD Maxtor 250 Gig
ATI Radeon 9200 SE
Sound Blaster Live! (yes I know this card is ancient!)

There are also three case fans (two of which I added myself)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users