Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Cutting Out Every 5-10 Minutes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flickerstick

flickerstick

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:55 AM

Hi there, recently been having alot of trouble ith my PC in general, but have finally got it down to one problem, albeit a rather biggy. Every 5-10 minutes my internet just cuts off and I have to restart my computer for it to come back on, til another 10 minutes in when it will cut off again etc. When I plug in my iBook, that works fine and my PC even shows there as being a connection. I tried asking over at the HiJackthis board but to no avail, here is that topic if it helps in any way:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/104609/internet-cutting-out-every-5-10-minutes/

Thanks very much in advance for an reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:41 AM

Here's a couple of things to try (in this order)(reboot after each one and test before starting the next one):

1) WinsockFix (free from here: http://tntmax.com/component/option,com_rem...,fileinfo/id,5/ )
2) Reset Internet Explorer to it's default values (in IE go to Tools...Internet Options...Advanced...and look for the Reset button there)
3) Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )
4) Uninstall your network card and any programs associated with it (download the new programs and driver from the internet first) - then install the fresh copies.

Please let us know if any of them helps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 flickerstick

flickerstick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

Ah man, I'm really at a loss. I tried downloading that Winsock thing and when I opened I had no idea what to do. I know that is incredibly ignorant of me and I'm really sorry but I just have no idea. Should I be opening WinSCP, Pageant or that Putty thing?

I managed to do the second one but that didn't appear to work.

The third I think I did, but do I need to downlaod something before doing what you said?

And I didn't feel like chancing the fourth option til I tried doing the others properly. Also, when you say any programs associated what does that include.

Again I'm sorry and I know you're probably in disbelief at how PC illiterate I am, but I'm just about ready to give up and make do with ten minute bursts at a time so any help is really appreciated.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

Don't worry about not knowing a lot about PC's - after this is over you'll probably know more than you ever wanted to! :thumbsup:

With the Winsock thing - don't worry about it. If necessary we'll come back to it later on.
So, try the link with #3 - it'll give you info on how to run SFC.EXE.

The steps above are just hunches based upon what you've told us so far. After you've finished with #3 we can move on to other things.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 flickerstick

flickerstick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

Thanks again.

Right, I tried following those instructions and it doesn't appear to have made a difference. I moved the i386 folder to the c:/ drive but when I ran SFC.EXE /SCANNOW all it did was say verifying current files are all there etc or something to that effect and performed a check. When I restarted however windows did pop up with a message saying 'Please wait...' which it obviously doesn't usually do.

Should something else be happening?

NB. I followed all the instructions in that link ie changing the regedit etc. Just thought it sounded like all I did was move the folder and then run sfc when I first posted this.

Edited by flickerstick, 23 August 2007 - 03:16 AM.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

Besides what usasma advised, here's another angle
Do you have a router where the inactivity timeout is set short?
Do you have a firewall which might require your DNS(s) and DHCP servers to be trusted in order to maintain the connection?
Do you use power-saving features on the computer which do kill internet connection?
Did you ask your ISP whether they change your IP that frequently?
If you run Start, then Run, then type cmd and hit return, you could learn something from the "ipconfig /all" typed into the cmd window. Do it often and see what's going on.

#7 flickerstick

flickerstick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:01 AM

Hi again, right, an update. My interent is now working, no idea why mind. Yesterday I gave a few of the things you suggested tos ie changing the power saving options. However, it didn't appear to make a difference even after a couple of reboots.

I don't know if it was even purely a case of just being patient or what, and giving it a week or so.

So anyway, thanks very much for all your help, it really has been appreciated. I'll be sure to hang arond these boards, it's a breath of fresh air asking for help without being shot down as a noob etc.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:12 PM

"Nothing succeeds like success!" I would suspect that you've done something to fix it - but it took a bit for the change to "catch".

#9 flickerstick

flickerstick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:04 AM

"Nothing succeeds like success!" I like it :thumbsup:

Right, back again. It turned out the problem didn't sort it self out and I only had the internet for one day. Only just had chance to get back on these boards, had alot of work on recently.

I posted before explaining that it seems as though I'm still connected, well this is certainly the case as azeurus can still download files just fine, iTunes and steam can't however, nor can alternative browsers.

Sorry to drag this topic up again and thanks for any more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users