Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have A Ton Of Problems With My Pc, Everything Seems To Be Going Wrong (pics Inside)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wtfer

wtfer

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:51 PM

Well I have three big problmes & I was wondering if anyone could help

I have a XP Service Pack 2
I registered to this site about 2 months ago to clean my PC & it worked, it got rid of a lot of spyware & trojans. Thing is I'm still having problems with my PC even though I'm certain I am clean of those problems.

Ok here goes

Problem # 1) Sound issues:

For some strange reason, my sound is being disabled almost every day!
I'm listening to some music & come back to my a few hours later & find out that sound no longer works on my PC.
This is what happens when I try to access the Sound controls for my PC:
Posted Image

Well I had this happen to me once or twice before, but this only happend like once in a year.
Now my sound is dropping off EVERY DAY (Twice some days)

To fix the problem I go here:
Posted Image
I select the drivers for that & roll back drivers & than update drivers, after that everything works perfectly fine.
Until the next day where it starts all over again!

What is happening?

Problem #2) Connections issues:

My connection is now dropping off almost every day. I have Charter Cable & I called the company to see if they were having any problems & they gave me the the B.S. everything looks to fine from their part.
Here is what happens, I'm online & all of a sudden nothing connects!

Clicking on the local area connection icon in the taskbar & trying the repair option just tells me this:
Posted Image

Here is where the problem seems to be, even though I get no connection, the icons shows that I'm still being connected.
When I disconnect my ethernet cable from my PC, the icon still shows as if I'm still connected (like it didn't even recognize the cable being unplugged, which it normally does) like this:
Posted Image

The only way to get back online, is to disconnect my ethernet cable from my PC AND reboot my PC, which gets my connection back perfectly. Doing either rebooting or disconnecting the cable alone will not work in getting my connection back.

Now when I disconnect my ethernet cable from my PC when my connection is working perfectly , the icons does show that the cable has been unplugged like this:
Posted Image

Yet when my connection drops later on in teh day, that pop-up will never appear if I unplug my cable for some strange reason.

Problem #3) Display issues

When I reboot my PC & about 15-25 minutes in, out of nowhere my displays (browsers, programs & fonts) will change style for a split second before reverting back to normal.
This happened out of nowhere & now is happening every time I boot my PC. I don't know how to stop it or what is causing it.
I also have a feeling that this problem might be releated to the previous two problems some how.

Here is what my normal browser looks like when I first start it:
Posted Image

About 15 minutes in, all of a sudden it changes into something completely different, which I was able to capture:
Posted Image
This happened to Miscrosoft Paint too, so it does not only affect the browser.

This only happens for a split second before reverting back to normal with only some icons being rearranged like this:
Posted Image

Does ANYONE know what this is? ANY clue? I'm desperate here.
I have been asking around for some time & absolutely no one knows anything, this is probably my last hope here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnpap

johnpap

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:54 AM

Try uninstalling both the network card as well as the soundcard... wouldn't hurt if you did it on your VGA as well. Sounds pretty simple to be a solution but it does miracles some times. My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.

As far as the sound is involved try to uninstall everything that has to do with sound (not everything can be uninstalled). When you are done uninstalling everything reboot your PC and reinstall everything (should be done automatically since the devices' drivers are already installed)

If the time the screen resolution changes is standard (15-20 mins) after your first boot and then after rebooting it happens more often this could mean a hardware problem (most likely the VGA is overheating). Make sure you have proper ventilation and the vga's cooler (as well as any other in your PC) is free of dust.

Hope it solves your problem

Edited by johnpap, 20 August 2007 - 08:56 AM.

#3 graysmoak

graysmoak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

MY PC IS DOING THE SAME THING!!!!

I thought it was dying in a crazy way, as these things seem, at least in my mind, totally unrelated. For me it all started a week after I installed the upgrede to IE 7. Monday the internet was slow, but no biggie, Tuesday it would say i was connected, but no pages wuold load. All my IMs would work though with no problem. Wednesday on it would say I was connected but nothing would load at all. No IM, no pages no nothing. If you look at the taskbar icon for networking it would show I was sending packets, but not recieveing. LIke, IF I had sent 987 packets, I only recieved 29. I know that's not right, but I don't know what to do about it.

So, all week I've been running antivirus scans and HIjack This and my whole battery of xp tools to no avail. Saturday when I turn it on, the start bar is in the windows 98 style, but the start menu is in the winXP style. I find this bizarre and inexplicable. In fact, if I wanted to, I have no idea how to make it do that otherwise.

Then, and by far the strangest thing, it will play system sounds, like if I right click, or try to close a document without saving.. but if I try to play winamp or windows media player, it will play a sound when it brings up the error message telling me that there is no sound device.

Until I read this forum thread, I thought these were random and unrelated things. I was scared my computer was dying in some horrible way and trying to warn me that there aren't a lot of boots left in it. I had stopped turning it on. I've borrowed my brother's laptop to do this internet research until I could get a new computer and hope mine will turn on one last time and burn enough cds of all the things I don't want to lose. Please someone out there tell me I'm overreacting and my computer isn't dying.

Thank you for any help you can provide, my research hasn't gotten me anywhere...

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

Well, it certainly sounds like your XP installation was severely damaged by the viruses/malware. You could spend the rest of your life trying to fix everything. It's not worth it !

It's time to back up your important files and reinstall XP. There are a number of ways to do this depending on who built the PC.

Home-built Desktop
Always needs an XP Installation/XP CD/XP OEM CD
The motherboard manufacturer always supplies the motherboard drivers on a CD.

Store-bought including all Laptops (Dell, HP-Compaq, Gateway, E-Machines, etc.)
Reinstallations will use 1 of these methods:
1) BIOS program to reinstall XP from a disk image stored on a hidden partition. Drivers already installed in the image.
2) XP app to burn a set of Reinstall CDs. Run the CDs after burning them. Drivers included in the CDs.
3) One or more Reinstallation CDs. Drivers included in the CD(s).
4) An XP Installation CD from the PC manufacturer. Drivers included in the CD.

A separate driver installation disc may be supplied in addition.

#5 wtfer

wtfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

Try uninstalling both the network card as well as the soundcard... wouldn't hurt if you did it on your VGA as well. Sounds pretty simple to be a solution but it does miracles some times. My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.

As far as the sound is involved try to uninstall everything that has to do with sound (not everything can be uninstalled). When you are done uninstalling everything reboot your PC and reinstall everything (should be done automatically since the devices' drivers are already installed)

If the time the screen resolution changes is standard (15-20 mins) after your first boot and then after rebooting it happens more often this could mean a hardware problem (most likely the VGA is overheating). Make sure you have proper ventilation and the vga's cooler (as well as any other in your PC) is free of dust.

Hope it solves your problem

I'm having a little trouble finding the Device Manager, is this it:
Posted Image
How would I go about uninstalling & reinstalling it?

Also Where do I go to uninstall the sound devices? Everything was pre-installed when I bought my PC 6 years ago & I don't have any of the original disc's that came with it.

I also took your advice & cleaned out my PC & left my PC off for 16 hours before turning it back on.

BTW WinCrazy, I don't think my XP is messed up due to Malware, as I downloaded nothing when this started happening & I'm pretty sure I cleaned up my PC of trojans etc..

Here's my HiJack This log just for reference:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:56:13 PM, on 8/20/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WDBtnMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\wdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Programs\hijackthis last\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: HP View - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WD Button Manager] WDBtnMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd...b?1187662952171
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Launcher (RetroLauncher) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect WD Service (RetroWDSvc) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\wdsvc.exe

--
End of file - 3931 bytes

Also I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem, but here is the event viewer:
Posted Image
There seems to be a lot of error's occuring, does that have anything to do with my problems?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:06 AM

Please double click on one of the errors and give us the exact text of the error message that shows up. The Information messages may also contain something related to this since they occur in a pattern (2 info then an error) and are happening many times per minute.

This info will help to point us in the direction to go to finish troubleshooting this issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 cjfla

cjfla

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

I'm having a little trouble finding the Device Manager, is this it:
Posted Image

[/quote]

No that is not your Device Manager. To open the device manager Click START - CONTROL PANEL - Double click on SYSTEM - Click on the HARDWARE TAB - Click on DEVICE MANAGER. Voila!

#8 graysmoak

graysmoak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:51 PM

Hey, Wtfer,

How's your machine? Did you ever get it to work correctly? I feared mine was dying, so I have'nt turned it on again since this all started. Just wanted to check and see how yours was doing. I've read almost the entire internet, and even though people want to help and are trying to help, I haven't found an answer yet. I do appreciate the outpouring of support. I feel like we will find an answer eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users