Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Glitch

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 onalandline

onalandline

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

Ok, I click on "Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Rearrange items on your hard disk to make programs run faster" link in Control Panel. Instead of it opening to the defrag window, it opens to "My Computer/Local Disk (C:)/Documents and Settings/(a folder that uses my name)". I have no clue why it does this, except that I guess the path has somehow been altered. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Support Our Troops!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:35 PM

That's odd that it should come up that way, I'm not quite sure why that would be or how to fix it.
You should be able to bring up the Defragmenter by going to Start > Run > dfrg.msc
Or alternatively you could right click on My Computer, select Manage, and pick Defrag from the left panel.

If none of that works there may be a problem with defrag snap-in.
Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:44 PM

Another way is to double click on My computer, right click on you hdd...usually C:, click on properties, click on the tools tab and choose defragment now.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. I know how to get to defrag other ways, but I was just wondering if someone knew how to fix the problem. Thanks again for any replies.

Support Our Troops!

#5 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:24 PM

OK, it seems that Disk Defrag is not installed anymore for some reason. When I try to run it, I get the following message: "Windows cannot find 'G:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc'...". G: is my drive containing the OS. Does anyone have suggestions for me on how to fix this? Thank you.

Support Our Troops!

#6 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:43 PM

Try doing sfc /scannow

start/run/ sfc /scannow /click ok

note the space between the c and /

this is your system file protection
if there are any corrupt or damaged files it will fix or replace them
if it cant fix or replace them then it will ask for your windows xp cd
so its good to have it handy...............

also its good to try your defragmenter in safe mode
it is possible that the file file path may have been changed or altered due to a fragmented disc

#7 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:52 AM

I had already performed a sfc /scannow. The problem still persists. Is it normal for sfc /scannow to ask for the XP cd several times during the scan, even though the disk is in the drive already?

I googled the problem, and some folks say to make sure that I have all the required files in windows/system32. I copied the seven files from my XP cd to my system32 folder. I am supposed to re-register these files they say, but it doesn't seem to work the way they are telling me.

When I try to run defrag, it says that file is missing, but when I look up what system utilities are available on my computer, defrag is not there.

I don't get it. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Support Our Troops!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:17 AM

Yes, it is normal for sfc /scannow to ask for the disk several times. It seemed to ask for the disk each time that it needed to install a file, IIRC.

Did sfc /scannow run to completion?

Since defrag seems to work if alternative methods are tried, I would assume that your system could stand chkdsk /r running.

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Run it from My Computer/Explorer, put check marks in the options for full scan and attemtpted recovery.

Louis

#9 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:27 PM

Hello, sfc /scannow did run to completion when I did it a while ago. It did ask for the XP cd several times. I also did the chkdsk /r. The dfrg.msc file is still supposedly missing. I think that the defrag utility may be gone altogether somehow. Any other suggestions?

Support Our Troops!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:38 PM

Repair install of XP, after ensuring that you have no malware problems.

Before doing anything, take a look in Event Viewer and see what major errors are reflected on the System tab.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:41 AM

Does dfrg.msc exist in you G:\Windows\system32 folder?
If so, what happens when you double click on it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

When I double-click on dfrg.msc, a window opens up saying that Windows cannot open that file, and to browse for the program that can or go on the web. I added seven defrag files that were missing to the System32 folder. I think that I have to register them though - not sure how to. Also, I think that the file type .msc may not be registered as a valid file type - not sure there either.

Thanks for the help folks. Any other input would be appreciated.

Support Our Troops!

#13 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

In G:\windows\system32. can you see a file named mmc.exe?
This is needed to open .msc files

[Edit:Spelling, sorry]

Edited by tswsl1989, 13 November 2007 - 11:13 AM.

Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#14 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:04 PM

I do have the mmc.exe file in system32. I was missing some defrag files that I copied from my XP cd into my system32 folder. Do I have to register these files manually so that they work properly with the registry? If so, how do I do that? I wonder if that is the problem.

Support Our Troops!

#15 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:07 AM

if the filenames ended in .dll, then the way to register them manually would be to use the following command, either from Start->Run, or from the command prompt.
regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\<filename>

Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users