Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building My Computer.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:00 PM

Ok, well i want a new compuer but do not have the money to go out and buy one for what i want. I want a computer that can play Battlefield 2 good. now talking to a friend i have found that this would be what i am looking for:

pentium d 3.0 ghz
socket LGA775 MOTHERBOAR WITH AGP
ati radeon x800 - AGP
1gb ddr2 533 ram
case with power supply

is there anything missing in that list? And he told me i could get that for around $400.00-$500.00.

Now i am totaly lost, and have no idea what i am doing! I really need some help here guys...!

oh, ps... i also need a new monitor but dont want to pay a lot for a good one.

i dont need Speakers, headset with mic, keyboard, mouse, CD burner.

Edited by tiverty, 19 August 2007 - 10:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:34 AM

well do you want to build the computer yourself? or get a pre-built one? if you want pre-built one Dell usually has pretty good deals

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:40 AM

Well, you have told us what you are going to use this computer for, now how about how much you have in the budget.

You didn't list a PSU which is the heart of the system, don't go cheap on this item, stick with a well known manufacturer. Because you are going to be building this for gaming you will need a PSU that is going to be able to support the power hungry graphics card that are being used now.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

An article on Power supply importance.. THG.COM PC Power supplies
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:25 PM

my price budget is around $600.00.

Guys i searously have no idea, and from what i can tell, having dell make one is spendy. i think, it is pretty simple to put a computer together so i will probally be connecti9ng things. I need people to really help me here, i mean like reputable sites i can get parts cheep for without jepordizing quality.

#6 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

well if you have no idea what you are doing it would be easier to get one that is made, but then again building a computer is pretty simple, to me the hardest part is making sure everything is connected correctly on the motherboard, the reason I suggested Dell is because usually when you build a pc with Dell they include monitors, but if you want to build one go to newegg.com, they have good deals, just look for combination deals (i.e. motherboard and cpu combo. and ext)

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

We'd be glad to help you if you need assistance choosing parts from NewEgg. I have to say though, AGP isn't going to get you far and is going out of style. You should probably bump it up to PCI Express x16 to be a little more ready to upgrade.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#8 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:19 PM

ok, so for playing BF2 is it possible to get a premade computer that can run it good for that price range? and is it even feasable at all?

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:44 PM

$600 can go a long way in either plan (build or buy)

Buying Pre built is more expensive usually but also less headache (your time always = money). I prefer to buy mine pre built simply because I rarely get enough time to build one out right.

Your setup is good with the exception of the AGP card (PCIe is the way to go now) One thing ill stress is weather build or buy ensure the system is upgradable for the future (ie you may only need 1 gb of ram now but you may want 4 gb in 2 years)

Posted Image

#10 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

Yea, the parts you have are fine, but make sure all your ports and buses will be able to upgrade to newer stuff when the time comes. Get an LGA 775 motherboard that supports Core 2 Duos, get a motherboard with DDR2 support, and so on. Don't go cheap on upgradeability, or you'll be buying everything all over again. That alone could save you at or over $200 in the future.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 21 August 2007 - 10:26 AM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#11 jball007

jball007

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:32 AM

A good way to start is looking at the minimum specifications req. to running the game.

Build up from there.

Say you need at least an ATI 1600 maybe check out 1 or 2 grades up, say that is the only game you play? You can by a 10k HDD instead of 720..

See what im getting at?

Build your system from the ground up unless you know what exactly you want .. this way you'll most likely make it in your price range!

Unfortunately i don't recommend building your own comp. unless you know what your doing! Alot of Mobo's differ in placement of certain things :thumbsup:

Jake

"I Came to Bring The Pain"

Posted Image

System: Core 2 Duo @ 2.44, Asus WIFI P5B mobo, Radeon 1950XT gcard, 2x1GB Memory, LITE-ON x2 DVD/CD drives, Aerocool Case, AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler, AeroCool 92mm Heatsink W/2 80m Fans Mounted on it, (3) 120m Fans on Case, (1) 220m Fan on Case, 150g HDD 10K RPM (For random stuff), 75G HDD 15k RPM (For Gaming)... Thermaltake (4) 12v rail PSU...THE END!!

#12 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:39 AM

You can by a 10k HDD instead of 720..

Actually some of the new 7200 RPM Drives are equally as fast as the 10k drives because they have a SATA 3.0 connection instead of a 10K's SATA 1.5 connection.

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

In some situations some new 7 200 rpm hard drives are almost as fast as the 10 000 rpm Raptors (See Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000). This is because of greater densities, bigger cache and firmware optimization. Neither drive can come close to the 150MB/s of SATA 150, much less the 300MB/s of SATA300, so the interface has nothing to do with the performance.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#14 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

ok... so if i were to like call up Dell or someone, baised on what people said? what should i ask for? Sorry for all the questions, but i dont know anything beyond the operation of computers! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users