Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change The Registered Name In System Properties?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Agent Bobo

Agent Bobo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

I recently purchased a dell dimension desktop off of a neighbor because they went with a laptop. I upgraded the win xp to xp pro. when I look in system properties the PC is registered to the previous owner. Not the XP software, just the PC.

How do I change the registered name on the PC so it no longer shows the previous owners name?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 McGhee

McGhee

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:38 AM

Well, you can change your name in the registry but mucking around in there is not something I think anyone highly recommends unless you know what you are doing. So doing so is at your own risk and I would make a registry backup before making any changes in there.

Go to Start menu and select Run and type regedit

Find and go to below key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version

Change your name in following subkey :Registered Owner

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:10 PM

Do not change anything in the Registry ! Who the PC says it is registered to is completely unimportant. If you really want to change the "Registered to" infor then do a complete reinstall. Formatting C: and starting with a fresh installation is always a good idea. You have no idea what problems there may be with this installation. This will remove any corruption that the previous owner may have done or have had happened to the OS. Just be sure to have the drivers ready (burned on CD) for the particular desktop model/motherboard model that you have.

If you are not going to install a fresh copy of XP then the best thing to do is to create your own User Account and then delete any/all the old User accounts. By doing this any documents, emails, etc., that you create will be associated with the new User Name and info.
Control Panel > User Accounts > Create a new account

Then, select each of the old accounts and then choose Delete this account. You may delete the files for those accounts, too, when this option is presented.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users