Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Errors - Supersedence?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

On a Dell Dimension 4600 (XP Pro SP2) machine, I did a system repair install. Next step was to check for updates - there were about 80. No surprise there. Oddly, all of them failed. Looking in the %windir%\Windowsupdate.log, I see many lines with the following error description: "Update {long alphanumeric sequence}.100 is pruned out due to potential supersedence. Updates worked before the repair install. The repair install disk was XPSP2.

I couldn't find much on the net about this one. I did find something about re-registering some critical dll's, here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...ef93af2&p=1
I will try it tomorrow. Apart from that, has anyone experience with this? Perhaps I need an older WUpdate executable?

Any advice appreciated!

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

Confirmed I have the latest updater, v7.0.6000.374

A.
Trawled the net extensively, found this link which basically contains all of the information to be found on the net on the subject, in one place.
http://www.amset.info/windows/auto-updates...tomatic-updates
Essentially, it:
- deletes the software distribution folder
- reregisters a bunch of windows updates, javascript and xml dlls
- deleted windows update log

B.
Since the windows firewall options are greyed out, it is stubbornly staying on. tried to reset security policies with no luck. so, I'm going into the registry key to try to disable it manually:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile in the EnabledFirewall key, changing the value to 0 (from 1).

C.
Download iuctl.cab, from here:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cab/...icode/iuctl.cab
Extract the cab and install the iuctl.inf file.

D.
Run system file checker. ( sfc \scannow ) This is towards the end of my list, because I didn't run into this problem until I did a repair install. Presumably no files will have changed since then.

E. (LAST RESORT)
Install Dial-A-Fix, http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-A-Fix (I am very wary of downloading this one, because I'm not exactly sure how it works, and therefore not sure how to undo any changes it will have made).

F. (LAST LAST RESORT)
Flatline and reformat. :thumbsup:

Will try it soon, in the next couple of days or so. Any feedback or ideas are really, really appreciated.

Acer Aspire 5732z

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:37 AM

OK problem solved. I've manually installed the update KB927891 and now the other 79 updates (!) are running smoothly!

Acer Aspire 5732z

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users