Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storing Files On Internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

Since I only have one computer at this time, and I have learned that CD's are not completly reliable, I'm thinking about storing files on an Internet Service.

Can you tell me anything about them ?
Are they reliable for storing technical intellectual properties, etc.?
Valuable documents, etc.?

Jove

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 20 August 2007 - 04:43 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

What kind of problems are you having with CDs? If you are using good media like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim you CDs should last for years.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:59 PM

Well let me begin with I have had problems like the I had a note book that started reading old CD from the past when I loaded in the CD, I have had a Iomega Zip that stopped opening the floppy, I have had some unexplained at this time problem with CD's when I had a Trojan attack, and I'm just plain worried about my files.

The brands you mentioned I never heard of I have used Memorex, Maxell, and Sony.

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

So, having said that, whats the verdict, do you reccomend internet storing of files or do you have issues and comments ?

Disc somehow make me a little insecure, there ok but, . . you really never know.

Hey remember Robert Redford and the movie Condor ?

Who to Trust ?

Jove

Edited by Jove, 20 August 2007 - 04:06 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:33 PM

There are several considerations about storing files on the Internet.
1. If you will need access to them at any time, you must consider the reliability of your internet connexion and the levels of service of the servers a company uses.
2. If these are sensitive documents, you must verify that all transmissions are secure and that the provider guarantees (as best it can) the security and privacy of files they store for you.
3. You should also make sure that the provider (or yourself, for that matter) has a disaster recovery process in place.
4. Obviously, you should also be sure that the company providing the storage is financially secure and has a decent reputation.

Personally, I prefer to store any important or sensitive files to CD (with back up on another drive as well).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users