Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Change Harddrive Boot Order

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 atherworld

atherworld

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

If you read my previous Post, My Computer Popped ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/104716/my-computer-popped-and-now-wont-power-on/ ), you'll know my initial problem.

I've managed to salvage the Hard Drive (Salvaged Hard Drive), and connect it into my old computer (Original Hard Drive) It's still working fine. Disk Manager reads it as Healthy. My problem is, If I connect it internally through the cable as Hard Drive 1, the computer doesn't want to access it. It gets stuck on Initializing Boot Screen (when you first start it up, even before Windows XP logo appears). I can connect it as Hard Drive 2/Zip, replacing my internal 250Zip Drive as the second component (previously it was Original Hard Drive as 1, Zip Drive as Hard Drive 2/Zip, now Original Hard Drive as Hard Drive 1, Salvaged Hard Drive as Hard Drive 2/Zip). I can even access my files (ie, rename them via right click).

Is there anyway to change their boot order or something that so my Salvaged Hard Drive load ups instead of the Original Hard Drive? Would switching their Drive letters work (Original Hard Drive goes from C to H, Salvaged Hard Drive from D to C)?

I just don't want to switch and have the same hold up when starting, and have no way to undo the problem because I can't load up Windows and switch them back. Then I'll have no computer at all. I'd need to have it move on to the Original Hard Drive, or be able to remove the Salvaged Hard Drive and have it automatically go to the Original Hard Drive regardless of drive letters or boot order.

I guess I want to trick my computer into recognizing the Original Hard Drive first (like normal), but load up Windows from the Salvaged Hard Drive. So all my Salvaged Hard Drive files are available from the get go, and I don't have to painstakingly redirect my programs from the Original Hard Drive to the Salvaged Hard Drive. I just don't want any problems to keep me from being to load up Original Hard Drive's Windows if Salvaged Hard Drive still fails to load right.

Both Hard Drives use Windows XP Home SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:41 PM

Is this salvaged hard drive original to the computer you putting it into? If no, it won't work that way. You can jumper it as slave, get the files of it you want, then reformat it to use as a second drive
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:56 PM

To take that one step further, if this hdd was taken from another computer and you tried to use it in another then you may have corrupted the operating system. When a hdd is installed it recognizes certain hardware on the motherboard and when you install the hdd with another motherboard it fails to see the old familiar setup and may fail. Some time you may get away with running the repair console, other times you may have to reinstall the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

Also I would confirm that my jumper settings are correct. For example, if one drive uses "cable select", the other should as well. Have a look in your BIOS for any other info that might help explain the issue. You might need to make some other adjustements in the BIOS to accomodate for the master/slave set up. Last week I needed to add a slave drive, so I used cable select jumper settings, connected everything, closed the box and booted up. It turned out that I needed to manually detect both drives through the BIOS before the newly installed slave would be recognized. (this was on a Dell system).

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#5 atherworld

atherworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

I too the Salvaged Hard Drive form an HP and used it in a Dell. No real problems with Windows XP SP2. Bit slower in opening START or calling up a save box. The real problem was when I redirected my shortucts to the Salavged Hard Drive, which was lading the programs right, Firefox couldn't upgrade the extentions, and now it doens't want to follow the new paths to the Salvaged Hard Drive. It only opes the original Hard Drive Programs. Not too bad a problem if I avoided an OS Corruption.

#6 johnpap

johnpap

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:20 AM

1. Agree with dc3. Installing the Salvaged disk in another PC might not work. The mobo's chipset has to be the same or at least similar.
2. Some hard disks need to be as C/S when they are on their own and Master/Slave when with another drive. You might connect a disk and jumper it as Master and will refuse to work if it is on it's own.
3. After having the Salvaged disk connected as slave (operating the OS from the Original) your programs in the Program Files of the Salvaged won't necessarily work. You see programs in order to work might make changes to the registry or have links to other files (originally under C:\blablabla.... or wherever but now under X:\blablabla... where X is the Salvaged drive) which of course cannot be found under C:\blablabla... now because blablabla does not exist in the Original C:\ drive. Plus your Original registry is not the same as of the Salvaged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users