Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W2k Will Not Install On Dell D600

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

I was given a Dell Latitude D600 notebook. P-4 1.6 with 512 DDR RAM and 40GB hard drive.
It came with XP Pro but not the disk so I decide to install Windows 2000 Pro sp2 (I have the sp4 upgrade disk also). I started by using Digital Dolly to wipe the drive. It has Derek's Boot&Nuke Wipe Utility. I followed up by use Digital Dolly to create a partition and format to NTFS. Apparently all was good in my world after 5 hours (4 hours to Quick Wipe 40GBs), and I was ready to clean install Windows 2000 Professional. I make several attempts, but the system stopped after the computer booted to the "Press any key to boot CD...". I have attempted to re-install several time I have even used the Windows setup to partition and format the drive again... twice.
To no avail, I have not been able to get pass that screen, except to start the install all over again.
This computer was able to have Windows 2000 Pro installed, or at least the option. I when to the Dell site and downloaded all of the Dell drivers and software for Windows 2000 for the Latitude D600 Notebook (All 87 items).

Dell Latitude D600 Drivers and Downloads for Windows 2000 Professional

Any ideas?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

W2k sp2 predates that laptop by at least 2 years

you really should slipstream the sp4 update into the w2k cab files as per ms's instructions

while you are at it, it probably wouldn't hurt for you to use nlite to integrate the drivers into the install cd

several of those drivers are fairly recent and updated for the age of the laptop

also flash the bios to the latest first

good luck, you'll need it

Edited by DaChew, 19 August 2007 - 06:56 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:59 PM

will it even boot an xp cd, if not then it's the cd rom drive
Chewy

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

It actually installs all of the W2k OS, the problem comes when the computer re-boots to complete the install. It will freeze at the prompt to boot from the CD.
No, I do not have the XP CD. If I had the Dell I would have used them.
Never did take the time to learn how to slipstream the OS. May do it now.

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

The hard drive is listed as one of the enabled boot devices, right?
Because on Dell BIOS's, you can activate/deactivate the bootable devices in the list.
Posted Image

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:17 PM

Yes. I actually played with that to see if the order made a difference. No luck.

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

The order wouldn't really matter once it's gone through the setup, it just seems like the hard drive being a disabled boot item would cause that.

The only other thing I can think of that would keep the hard drive from going through its boot sequence would be if there were a problem with the hard drive or the controller. It should just be a run of the mill ATA controller so there shouldn't be any driver issue, and if it's gone through several formats and preliminary installations it shouldn't be the hard drive.

Myself the next thing I would try would be to install a different OS, just to see if it could boot properly.
Posted Image

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

things to try to get sp4 and drivers loaded

1. use an external monitor?
2. turn off extras in bios
3. set bios for non plug and play?
Chewy

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

Try running the install with 256 MB of ram. I actually encountered a D600, went through almost the same thing, only with XP. I lost more hair, and was pounding my head against the keyboard. The laptop had a PC2100 and a PC2700 in it, pulled the PC2700, opened the cd drive so it did not read the cd. The machine booted perfectly, and finished the install. Put the 2700 back in, everything worked perfectly. I had ran Memtest86 overnight with no errors previously.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

The order wouldn't really matter once it's gone through the setup, it just seems like the hard drive being a disabled boot item would cause that.

The only other thing I can think of that would keep the hard drive from going through its boot sequence would be if there were a problem with the hard drive or the controller. It should just be a run of the mill ATA controller so there shouldn't be any driver issue, and if it's gone through several formats and preliminary installations it shouldn't be the hard drive.

Myself the next thing I would try would be to install a different OS, just to see if it could boot properly.

things to try to get sp4 and drivers loaded

1. use an external monitor?
2. turn off extras in bios
3. set bios for non plug and play?

Try running the install with 256 MB of ram. I actually encountered a D600, went through almost the same thing, only with XP. I lost more hair, and was pounding my head against the keyboard. The laptop had a PC2100 and a PC2700 in it, pulled the PC2700, opened the cd drive so it did not read the cd. The machine booted perfectly, and finished the install. Put the 2700 back in, everything worked perfectly. I had ran Memtest86 overnight with no errors previously.

Thank you one and all. I am at work but I will try everything, including try to boot from a different OS, when i get home tomorrow.
I do have the Puppy laying around somewhere.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:55 AM

It would appear I had a bad W2k OEM disk. I use another disk and it installed fine.
All is good in my world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users