Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Lock Wireless

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 booka

booka

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

So my roommates and I decided that after two years of not locking our wireless connection, we should buckle down and figure it out. An hour and a half later, we are worse off than when we started...sigh...

The setup: Two desktops connect directly to the router (NetGear), my laptop connects wirelessly. (which I just found out may not be an ideal set up? If you have insight on that, I'd be willing to hear it as well)

We figured out how to access the router settings online, set up a password, a WEP, etc. It seemed like we were good to go, my laptop was getting a strong signal and accepted the WEP I gave it. But then I got an error message saying that my IP address was not recognized and thus the connection was unable to be made. It told me to try to repair it (I did, to no avail), and if that didn't work then to talk to the person who set up the network, which is me, unfortunately. Note: I had already found my MAC address and told my network to allow it. I tried using the router settings to assign my computer a specific IP address (confession: at this point I wasn't sure what I was doing, I was just trying to find a router setting that might mitigate the problem), but that didn't work either.

Baffled and frustrated, we decided to forget the whole thing until we could talk to someone who knew what they were doing, so we chose the "disable" option for the router security, thinking that would take things back to how they were originally. However, now when I look at the list of possible networks, ours isn't even listed as an option! My roommate took out her laptop to check, and hers isn't recognizing it as an option either.

Resetting the modem, router and computer has not helped the issue. Both desktops continue to function normally.

Any ideas as to how we went astray? Or how I can fix it?

Thank you for your thoughts!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

Hi once you reset the router(push and holding in the little hole at the back of the router) you need to put back your username and password so it can connect to your ISP. In your PC you network settings should be all set to obtain automatically.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users