Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Drive Not Showing Up

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:39 PM

for some reason my cd drive is not showing up, it was working fine yesterday, I put a cd in the drive today and noticed nothing was happening so I went to my computer and the drive isn't listed, I changed the cable connector from the motherboard to the drive thinking that would work but nothing, I just bought this new cd drive no more than 8 months ago, and the drive appears in the BIOS but not when I boot up, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Danny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

Look in the hardware portion of the event viewer to see if you have any errors:

Start, run type in: eventvwr.msc, hit enter, double click the hardware page.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

nope nothing is showing up under Hardware Events

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

Is there anything in the software, and are you able to boot from the CD drive?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

I don't even see software events in my event viewer,I'm running Vista if that makes any difference? Which I doubt it, I will see if I can boot with the cd drive in just a second and then I will respond back

#6 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:12 PM

nope can't boot up with it, I changed my BIOS to boot up in the cd drive and that didn't work, I think the drive is just dead, that's why I replaced my other one with this one, but I think it should be under warranty, it's an HP but I don't have the documentation anymore, should I just go to the hp website?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:09 PM

Just for the heck of it, I'd double-check the ribbon connector to the motherboard and make sure it's secure
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

yeah I tried that I even changed it out with another one same thing, I thought maybe cuz I put my new 8800 gts video card in and it was a tight fit so I thought it knocked it loose, but it shows up in my BIOS but not when I am on the computer? and it was working fine yesterday

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

check the drive in another computer, are you sure you haven't overloaded the power supply?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

ok I will, you know what that could possibly be it that there isn't enough power, but the drive opens and closes, but yeah I will hook it up to my other computer to see if it works

#11 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

I put the drive in my dad's computer and it showed up fine, do you think it is the power supply? I have a 500 W supply and my signature explains what's in my computer

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:12 PM

do you think it is the power supply

unless it's a high quality brand name that's conservatively rated, the power supply would be my guess

I try to leave my dvd burners on the closest connector to the power supply and all by themselves

I burn a lot of dvd's, even moderate a subforum for that, your case is pretty rare tho
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#13 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

hmmm well I think I will put my old video card in, to see if it is the 8800 gts that is sucking up all the power haha, and if that doesn't work I am not sure what I will do, everything on my computer is under unlimited replacement Fry's warranty

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:41 PM

If you have reinstalled the drive go to the device manager and uninstall it, reboot you computer and the install wizard should recognize the drive as new hardware, if you follow the installation instruction it will search for drivers for that drive, unless there is a problem with the registry this should fix it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:02 PM

I did as you said and unistalled the drive like you said rebooted the computer, and nothing popped up so I reopened Device Manager and the drive showed up again but with the "triangle with !mark in it" same problem "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

How would I be able to fix it in the registry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users