Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

I'm testing out Ubuntu to see if I will enjoy running it on my old PC at home. I have Windows Vista installed on it and I'm currently running Ubuntu on a Live CD. I'm enjoying the experience but I have internet issues. I simply cannot connect unless I unplug the computer for ten minutes then plug it back in and power it up. From the boards over at Ubuntu's site I've determined that Windows is shutting down the NIC when it powers off and turns it back on when Vista is loaded. The solution is to go into the BIOS and tell the computer not to shut off the NIC. This doesn't work for me as I have no such option in the BIOS. Is there any way to keep the NIC active after Windows shuts down so I don't have unplug the computer?

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

Ubuntu has it's own nic drivers, so once the system reboots, linux takes over. So I may be missing something obvious, but it shouldn't matter. Whether you reboot from Windows, or the computer has been shut down for 2 weeks, the nic card doesn't know that. All it does is responds when signals are sent to it, whether it be a Windows controller or a linux contoller. The nic card has no residual memory; so I am not buying that explanation. (Of course if you provide a link to one of those discussions, I would be happy to investigate). Then again, there is always the possibility that they are right and I am completely wrong.

Once you are booted into ubuntu, you should be able to manually disable and re-enable the nic card through one of the administrative commands. I don't have an Ubuntu system in front of me at the moment, so I can't say exactly where to find it.

What sort of computer do you have, and do you know what sort of nic card it has?

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

What you are describing sounds more like an issue with the power supply not shutting off completely, or windows has not sent a correct shutdown signal to the power supply. The other possibility is the bios needs to be updated. As long as the power supply has not fully shut off, or drained the capacitors, there is still enough power left going to the NIC to keep it active. Another idea would be to use the event log in vista to see all the device driver shutdowns by vista, and see if it has any problems with the NIC.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:15 PM

I followed the suggestions at the Ubuntu Forums, I unplugged the computer, waited about ten minutes, then restarted. I got the internet back after I did. Then I went back to Vista and restarted with the Live CD without first unplugging. When I got back to Ubuntu I had no internet again. I do notice something odd about the activity lights on the router. Until I installed the RealTek drivers in Vista, when my computer shut down the light for the wired connection always stayed on even when the computer was shut off. Now it goes off when the computer does and doesn't come back on until Vista loads. I'm not sure if it's related. I'm considering Ubuntu mainly because of the age of the computer.

This is the post at the Ubuntu Forums: No Internet Connection...

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users