Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Can't Be Modified

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DebraJess

DebraJess

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

I purchased a Seagate Free Agent 250GB external hard drive so I could backup items from my dying Dell and transfer them to my new MacBook Pro. Now when I want to backup items from my MacBook Pro to the external hard drive, the drive says it can't be modified. There are still 222GB of free space on the external hard drive. Why can't the hard drive be modified. Is it because I used it on the Dell first? Any help unlocking the external hard drive would be appreciated.

Thank you!

DJ :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:50 PM

It's probably formatted as NTFS which a Mac can read but can't write to. If it was formatted as FAT32 both a PC and a Mac can read and write to it but up to 4 GB at a time I think.
If you're only going to use it with the Mac, you should format it as Mac OS Extended with Disk Utility. The data on the drive will be erased when formatted.

#3 DebraJess

DebraJess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

It's probably formatted as NTFS which a Mac can read but can't write to. If it was formatted as FAT32 both a PC and a Mac can read and write to it but up to 4 GB at a time I think.
If you're only going to use it with the Mac, you should format it as Mac OS Extended with Disk Utility. The data on the drive will be erased when formatted.

Eeeek. Ok, I'll find someplace else to back up all the critical stuff and try reformatting. Thank you for letting me know!

Deb :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users