Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Delete Pictures

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 roasted420

roasted420

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

My wife and I went on vacation and took some pictures that.....well......shouldn't be seen in public. I transferred some of the "bad" pictures along with the "good" pictures to My Pictures. I sent the "bad" pictures to the Recycle Bin and emptied it, but when my screen saver kicked in, which shows a slideshow of My Pictures, I saw some of the "bad" pictures on the slideshow. How can I get rid of these pics? I would be grateful for any help.

I have a PC and use Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

Also look through My Documents and see if there's any hidden in there and maybe you film editing program
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

After that, you could try to find any instances of the files in question.

Note - this will only work if you know at least one of the filenames.

XP search function is pretty bad in my experience, so this might work better for you:
Bring up a command console, by clicking start, then run .
Type cmd in the box and hit enter.
In the command line, type cd c:\
Then type dir (then the name and 3 letter extension of one of the files in question) /s /a > c:\image_search.txt and hit enter
e.g. dir someimagefilename.jpg /s /a > c:\image_search.txt
when the search is complete, a new command prompt will appear right below the one you just types in. On this line, type exit and hit enter to close the window.

Open the file c:\image_search.txt in notepad or whatever text editor you prefer. Here will be a list of all the directories that said filename resides, to be deleted at your discretion. Presumably, the other files you are looking for are in these directories as well. You could use wildcards to expand the scope of your search criteria, although not necessary.

Info on wildcards:
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/w/wildcard.htm

More info on the DIR command:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...r.mspx?mfr=true

Good luck :thumbsup:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users