Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Crashes Often

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NormanXuminZhu

NormanXuminZhu

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:35 AM

I have this problem, where about every hour or so, more or less, it seems random, my internet crashes, and the way I use to solve this, is I would switch my router(DI604, D-Link) on and off, then wait a bit. Recently, the crashes became a lot more frequent, and I would also have to switch my MODEM on and off as well. My modem says SpeedStream 5100 on it, and it's a Ethernet ADSL Modem, or at least that's what I read on it. I don't think this has much to do with my computer, because my friend also has the same problem, and he uses DSL and a router, which is as much as I know.

Also, I have a static IP, I don't really know if that would help.

Edited by NormanXuminZhu, 19 August 2007 - 11:39 AM.

Word: NormanXuminZhu
Part of speech: Noun
Definition: Magnet for computer problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

Have you tried contacting your Service provider?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 NormanXuminZhu

NormanXuminZhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

While looking for a way to contact a support line from my ISP(unsuccessfully), I found this, under News You Can Use.

PREVENT DISCONNECT
All charges must be paid each month to keep your account current. However, “basic service” and its applicable taxes and surcharges MUST be paid to avoid disconnection. Currently, for this account that amount is $10.69. Failure to pay non-basic charges may result in other collection activities, including restriction of toll calls.

But I couldn't find how to pay this "basic service".

Otherwise, I'm still trying to find the phone number for a support line.

P.S. I'm using AT&T high speed internet.

Nevermind, I think it's just my poor ISP. While googling "AT&T DSL disconnect", I found customer reviews such as this, "I had initially bought a one-year contract for service about two years ago that converted to payment on a month-to-month basis. The only positive thing I can say was AT&T delivered my self-install package the next day and provided excellent, no brainer instructions for setup. Now, the bad news. Over those two years I saw my DSL connection become what can only be described as sketchy, not reliable and steady, with disconnections and slow-downs becoming the norm. AT&T's customer support and technical support are in name only. Just try to get a hold of someone on the phone. You'll spend hours being repeatedly disconnected by the automated phone system, all the while as it tells you to call the exact same number if you wish to receive support just before it disconnects your call. Support of any kind on their web site is a labyrinth of navigation that ultimately provides few answers, thus forcing subscribers to call via telephone. I could go on and on but, suffice it to say, I recommend that people stay away from this ISP as they charge lots of money for abysmal service. I'll never go back to AT&T again in my lifetime."

I'll try to switch my ISP.

Edited by NormanXuminZhu, 19 August 2007 - 01:44 PM.

Word: NormanXuminZhu
Part of speech: Noun
Definition: Magnet for computer problems.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:02 PM

Are you running any P2P software or anthing that would use many connections? They could be opening more connections than your router can handle so it crashes.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

I had DSL at one point and had no problems. I was lucky though I was only a block away from the Node and and the area had really good lines. I am on cable now my connection here is allot faster.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users