Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 accufitgolf

accufitgolf

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

I have installed a new hard disk drive. I do not have any of the original operating systems discs. How can I buy and install Windows XP Upgrade rather then the full version?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

You may be able to order a new set of recovery disks, which will be a lot cheaper than buying XP. What is the make/model of your system?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

You can "clone" the original hard drive to the new one if the original is still in good working order. You must be able to log into Windows, or at least into Safe Mode. This will save you XP installation including the Registry, programs and settings. I believe all these utilities can do this:

VCOM Partition Commander

Acronis Migrate Easy

Farstone DriveClone

Paragon Drive Backup

This cloned drive can only be used on the computer that the original drive was from.

#4 accufitgolf

accufitgolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the replies.

PAS
My old hard disk is a gonner as in dead.

BUD
Are you saying call puter manf. and see if they offer recovery discs?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

BUD
Are you saying call puter manf. and see if they offer recovery discs?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If they do offer them they will usually only charge you the postage (or maybe slightly more).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users