Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Give Up!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wmike

wmike

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

Well, I have given up on vista after two weeks. Reasons:

1. Proved very difficult to install.

2. When installed - many recent programs now did not function - requiring purchase of new products.

3. Over the two week period Vista (this is the all singing Ultimate edition, by the way) became increasingly unstable - many crashes and simple actions locking up the machine e.g using file manager - this either just locked up or stopped responding - unable to open or attach files in Outlook for instance, the list goes on!

4. I decided to give it one more chance and did a full re-install (now dual boot - just in case) - this produced more errors:

a. Vista loaded from DVD as did Office 2003 - on next reboot the DVD now could not be accessed - Vista insisted it was working OK.

So - after another expensive experience with Microsoft - I have returned to XP. All my programs now work as they should.

By the way - my machine is newly built with an Athlon 3700+ processor 3GB ram - 250GB HD 256mb Graphics card.

I strongly recommend staying away from vista until it, at least works properly, not requiring many frustrating hours trying to get simple things to work. Hey! I can live without the pretty Aero desktop and the gadgets - rubbish!

Cheers!

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

Which Ultimate edition did you install....32 or 64 bit?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

Vista works properly. Persistent unsuccessful attempts to use incompatible software and hardware are not the fault of the OS - that's what happens when you use things that aren't compatible. As the OS matures, the hardware and software manufacturers will catch up and their stuff will work seamlessly with Vista - until then that's the price you pay for being on the leading edge of technology.

FYI - it's common these days to find printers that are marked "Works with Vista" or "Vista compatible" - yet the manufacturer's have not supplied Vista compatible drivers. So the user attempts to install the printer using the included XP drivers and it doesn't work - is this Vista's fault?

I've been running Vista on a Toshiba M45 laptop since before June of 2006 - and it works just fine as long as I take the limitations into consideration. All of the included Toshiba utilities have been turned off - since they don't play well with Vista. In August of 2006 I upgraded to 1 gB of RAM and the performance is acceptable. I was lucky that I could get the Toshiba drivers to work within Vista, but once the hard work was done the system works quite well.

I've got a new MSI 975x PUE mobo that's not Vista compatible - but I've forced that to work with Vista and it does everything that I need it to do. My wife has an Intel 965x mobo that's allegedly Vista compatible - and it is the largest PITA that I've seen so far. I'm considering buying her a Gateway just so I won't have to hassle with her hardware issues.

We see very few issues with Vista systems at work - and the 2 most common issues there are network connections (because a local ISP isn't Vista compatible) and system corruption issues due to incomplete malware removal.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

In my shop, every problem that we have seen with vista involves Malware, P2P applications, and user error. Things like trying to install windows 98 drivers, trying to install scanners that are older than I am, etc.

USAMA, this is the best: I actually had one person try to install Enable 2.3 on vista!

IOW, I agree with USAMA.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:59 PM

I built a desktop all from scratch and was running Windows XP Professional when Vista came out. I bought the system builders version of Vista Ultimate and installed it the day after it was made available to the public.

Of course I did my homework and made sure that the hardware and programs I installed would work with Vista. Even with that I knew going in that my Sony Clie would not work with Vista. Sony refuses to make drivers for it. Other than that I have not had a problem that I couldn't overcome sometimes with suggestions from this forum. If I had to do a system restore, it ALWAYS worked. I have not had that experience with XP. I feel that as the flaws are worked out that Vista will be a most reliable operating system.

I purchased a HP laptop with Vista HOme Premium on it and it has worked flawlessly. Of course HP made sure that everything installed would work with the laptop. I've carefully added programs and to date have had no major problems.

I certainly agree with USMA that this is one great system that is only going to get better. Just do your homework before you start the upgrade process.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:21 PM

I've purchased Vista Ultimate. It came with two DVD's...32 and 64 bit. I'm going to attempt to build my own PC using 32bit. I love my Vista Business and can hardly wait until I've got my new system built. Of course I've done my homework too, so (keeping my fingers and eyes crossed) it should be twice the fun! :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:57 AM

Ive been runing Ultimate for about 6 months and in VM ware b4 that. I have so many programs on and off I cant count them all...lol.(some would work some tried to work and some wouls roll over an die) And I to was getting regular blue screens with Ultimate and since installing it I have had 2 audio driver updates, 3 video, 1 motherboard and even flashed the bios. And it is now starting to act the way I like it. (more driver updates the better)
I think Vista is great but it depends what you want. My daughters PC is still XP mainly because it has some older games on it, and my laptop is XP because it is to slow for Vista. In a year or so nobody will want XP installed on there new machine...but thats the trick you do need a fast PC!(and a couple of updates)
For me Vista is here to stay on my machine.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users