Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Keyboard Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

I have the above laptop that I took apart to clean the fans. I had to remove the keyboard in order to do this and when I put it back together strange things happened. The first time I started it only half the keyboard was working. I took it apart again to check the ribbon cable and it was seated and in place correctly. When I turned it back on, none of the keys worked again.
I have noticed though that when it turns on, the caps lock light flashes as it should. However I cannot enter BIOS or the windows boot menu or type anything when the OS has loaded.
I bought a new keyboard now and it does exactly the same thing so it's not that.
The USB keyboard works ok and I notice that when I put the caps lock on the caps lock light on the laptop keyboard also illuminates but the keyboard still does not work.
I have downloaded the latest bios from toshiba website but when I try to run it (it is a windows based program) it says "Failed UpdatePlatform". It is the correct bios though found here: http://support.toshiba-tro.de/tools/eula/info_eng2.asp
Any advice here would be appriciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

I think it's more of a hardware problem than BIOS. What about the other end of the ribbon cable? Did you tug too hard on that? Do the soldered connections look solid? Go over your work again and take your time and check as closely as possible
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

Look inside the socket that the ribbon is insert. Make sure none of the pins are bend or missing.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

The socket looks fine, as do the connections and pins. I even had a magnifier on it. Oh well. Another one bites the dust!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users