Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted Re Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JXBlack

JXBlack

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:16 AM

My WinXP re boots by itself. I run uTorrent 24 hours a day so I can tell when it has re booted. Sometimes it has done it while I am on the machine. I have not been able to tie it to any particular program and it does not happen with great frequency. Sometimes it will be 3 or 4 days between events and once it happened twice in 30 minutes, while I was on the machine.

I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem and I don't know how to find out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

My first guess would be overheating. Remove the cover and look at the fan and heatsink over the processor. Get a can of compressed air and blow out the fins of the heatsink. Be careful not to jostle any connections . Also check to see if the video card fan is clean, if you have one
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

Thanks... I'll give it a try

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

You could see if there are any issues in device manager. Click START -> Run. In the box type devmgmt.msc. Any conflicts showing up there?
Also you could have a look in the event viewer, especially look for any entries at the times that it does the behavior. Start->Run eventvwr.msc
See anything suspicous there?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#5 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:02 AM

Many thanks, I didn't know anything about the event viewer. It lists many errors. The next time the reboot happens I will immediately look at the event viewer and advise this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users