Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraudfix

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hikari33

hikari33

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

Hello im new here, recently ive been infected with the VirusProtectPro and i downloaded the SmitFraudFix, but when i ever i open the application in safe mode and in normal mode it would go to the command screen then in a second close..ive used all other programs to get rid of VirusProtectorPro and the only thing left is the icon...could sumobdy please help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

Have you tried Super Antispyware in safe mode?

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 hikari33

hikari33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

I did that the scan and it removed all the trojan components of the virus but the icon is still there

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

SAS updated after 4pm yesterday. If you updated your SAS before that, it might be worth updating and doing the scan again in safemode. Do a FULL system scan.

You can post a Hijack This Log, also.
Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

Is SmitfraudFix on your desktop? If not, move it there and try again. If it still is not working, the problem may be a small error in the registry where a path variable got corrupted that is preventing commands to work.

In order to fix this and get SmitfraudFix to work properly, download FIXPATH2.ZIP and save it to your desktop. Create a new folder on your C:\ drive called FIXPATH2 and extract (unzip) the files to that folder.

Click on Start > Run > and type: cmd
press OK or hit enter.
At the command prompt, type: cd C:\
hit enter and you should get C:\>
Then type: cd FIXPATH2
hit enter and you should get: C:\>fixpath2
Then type: FIXPATH.EXE
* It will display some preliminary information, and ask if it should continue and check for errors. Click Yes.
* If it successfully updates the Path value in the registry, you will need to reboot for the change to take effect. !!This is important!!

After reboot, try to run SmitfraudFix again as explained before.

Also download RogueRemover and save to you Desktop. (compatible with Windows 2000, NT, XP, Vista)
  • Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover.
  • During the installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
  • Double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch the program and select Check for Updates.
  • If prompted, click Download to receive the latest updates.
  • When completed, close the update window.
  • Select "Scan" and the program will walk you through the remaining steps.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 RAC

RAC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

to get rid of the VPP icon try doing a SEARCH for VirusProtect*.* and check 'Hidden files'

#7 hikari33

hikari33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

u guys are my heroes

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

Are you still having anymore problems or is the issue resolved?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users