Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Popped, And Now Won't Power On

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 atherworld

atherworld

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:22 AM

First off, I didn't add/delete, or make any major changes. I installed Google Desktop yesterday, and had a virus/trojan/whatever in Firefox's Java cache that always reappears from time to time, even when the file is deleted (it was two days old). Used the scanner as always 2 days before. I'm using HP Pavilion, Windows XP Home SP2, IE 7.

So, I turn my surge protector on, then my monitor, then my computer itself, same as always (well sometimes my computer, then my monitor). About 2 seconds later, I hear a POP sound. Like a lightbulb breaking, but far louder. I figured I blew my monitor, but it was lit up as always. But my computer was off. No happy blue light lighting up my power button. I pushed it again, and nothing. More pushes, same nothing. In the back, removing the power cord and replugging it back in lights up the little green light. Pushing the computer's power button turns it off. There's no burning, smoking smell. I know what that smells like. My TV once blew up while I was watching. Smelled the smoke, saw the smoke, bye bye picture (Did not help I as watching a show about a theif's ghost detectable by his cigar smoke. Really didn't need to smell that after they said it.)

I opened it up, got rid of as much dust as I could, closed it up, hit the power button, still nothing. Later, I remembered when another computer wouldn't power on, reseating all the power connections fixed it. So, I removed more dust, and pulled out and replugged back in all the power connecting white thingies, and the ribbons connecting everything to the mother board. Closed her up, pushed the power button. Same back light, still won't turn on. Still turns off the back light.

I unplugged everybody. Pressed the power button and held for 5 seconds. Tried putting power plug in different surge protector spot (swicthed it with working fax). Fax worked, computer dead. And of course my warranty expired last July.

It was raining aout 4 hours before I turned her on, but the computer was off for about 4 or 5 hours already. Pretty sure it wasn't raining when I turned it on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:23 PM

Re open the case with the computer plugged in and look for a little green led on the mainboard, if it is on you should have no problem finding it. Look on the back of the case near the power connector and see if you have a led that turns on when the computer is plugged in.if the mainboard standby led is not glowing, you have a possible bad power supply. if the led on the back of the power supply is not glowing, it is bad.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:59 PM

When you power the system on do you hear the hard drive seeking or see the drive activity indicator blink on the computer's front panel ? Blinking means that the power supply, motherboard and hard drive are probably OK.

One of the power supply rails (outputs) may have given up the ghost even though the others may still work. The way you can tell is by 1) testing the power supply in another "known working" computer 2) testing the power supply with a power supply tester 3) installing a new power supply.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16899888901 Typical Power supply tester
A power supply tester can not be used for any laptop power supplies or any of the non-standard supplies that are common in desktops from Dell, HP, Gateway, etc., especially the mini-ATX cases. Only "industry standard supplies" for desktop systems can be used with these testers.
You may need to use a voltmeter (one function of a multimeter) to properly test the supply.

Another possibility is that the power components on the motherboard may have burnt out (heated up rapidly and exploded). You may be able to see burn marks and/or burned components.

The monitor may have burned out. You say that the monitor "was lit up as always". Do you mean its power indicator was lit up ? This only tells you when the power cord is plugged in and the power switch is in the ON position. Do you mean you have a flat panel and the backlight lit up ? The graphics electronics may have died. Try the monitor on a "known working" computer.

Perhaps the video card or video chip in a laptop has died. If it is a plugin card you could try it in another computer (you know what kind).

The gist of all this is "swap and test" one component at a time.

#4 atherworld

atherworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:49 AM

Re open the case with the computer plugged in and look for a little green led on the mainboard, if it is on you should have no problem finding it. Look on the back of the case near the power connector and see if you have a led that turns on when the computer is plugged in.if the mainboard standby led is not glowing, you have a possible bad power supply. if the led on the back of the power supply is not glowing, it is bad.

There is no light on the mainboard. The only light is on the back of the power supply, which shuts off when I try to turn on the computer.

When you power the system on do you hear the hard drive seeking or see the drive activity indicator blink on the computer's front panel ? Blinking means that the power supply, motherboard and hard drive are probably OK.

Another possibility is that the power components on the motherboard may have burnt out (heated up rapidly and exploded). You may be able to see burn marks and/or burned components.

The monitor may have burned out.

The hard drive remains quiet, and there are no lights lit up. My Montior works perfectly fine. I've managed to conenct up an older computer to it, no problems. There are no burn marks. Everything looks normal.

Edited by atherworld, 19 August 2007 - 04:00 AM.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:39 AM

Try a known good power supply, and see what your results are. Your old power supply has probably worn out and can't handle a load anymore.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:07 PM

:thumbsup:
Hiya,

For what it's worth, the symptoms you have described mirror image the exact same as what happened to my sister-in-law computer two weeks ago. The end result being a blown fuse in the PSU.

Because of the work involved, 20 Pounds sterling bought a replacement PSU. Fault corrected.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#7 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:14 PM

Yes, Bonnevile, you also have to consider why the fuse blew. If the attached components are OK then then the PS's fuse should never blow. Your PS was probably faulty - replacing its fuse would have probably resulted in the new one popping, too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users