Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So I Want To Make An Upgrade...where Do I Start?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dizzam

Dizzam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:51 AM

So I want to upgrade my computer so it can run games better. I'll give you what I currently am running and then some ideas
I've had for upgrades. Hopefully some of you that are more
computer savvy can help me out.

I am currently running:

CPU Type Unknown, 2033 MHz (10 x 203)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset VIA K8T800Pro, AMD Hammer (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/k8-series/k8t800pro/)

System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (256 MB) (http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html)

CPUID Manufacturer AuthenticAMD
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+

(http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487,00.html)

Memory Slots:

DRAM Slot #1 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)

The rest I am not worried about upgrading. Right now I am thinking along the lines of a processor upgrade and definitely a video card upgrade. For the processor I want something like an AMD Athlon 64 FX Dual Core 2.8 Ghz like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103861
however I don't know if my motherboard supports it because on the website it says it supports Athlon 64 FX but it says single processors. For the video card I really want the GeForce 7950 GT
card located here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...-XFX-_-14150223
but once again I'm not sure my motherboard can handle it.

Any suggestions on what I should upgrade? My goal is to be able to run current games on medium settings, I don't really need the highest. Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:46 AM

Where did you get that info? For some reason its not saying what your motherboard is. Download Everest . In their it should tell you everything about your computer. Please post back your motherboard model, and socket number. I forget if it tells you what graphics card slot you have too.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

Where did you get that info? For some reason its not saying what your motherboard is. Download Everest . In their it should tell you everything about your computer. Please post back your motherboard model, and socket number. I forget if it tells you what graphics card slot you have too.

It will show which "video adapter" is installed, if that doesn't show it you can try downloading SIW.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Dizzam

Dizzam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

Thank you for your support so far. I guess I was using the old version of Everest. Anyway I downloaded Everest Home and got a report, I will stick it here in full because I am unsure of all the information that was needed.

My System:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2033 MHz (10 x 203) 3200+
Motherboard Name Abit AV8 / AV8-3rd Eye / RocketBoy AV8 (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset VIA K8T800Pro, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (07/28/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Monitor HW191D [NoDB] (625GH30CA0649)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB Live! 5.1 Sound Card

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller VIA SATA RAID Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive VIA SATA RAID 0 SCSI Disk Device (298 GB)
Optical Drive SONY DVD RW DW-D22A (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
E: (NTFS) 305242 MB (221951 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical

Network:
Network Adapter VIA Networking Velocity Family Giga-bit Ethernet Adapter (24.117.236.186)
Modem Standard Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Auto HP DeskJet 895Cse on DELL
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical

I guess my question comes down to what are my options for upgrading? My budget is 400 to 600 but the cheaper the better. Of course I want to be able to run games like Oblivion at good settings (not necessarily highest) smoothly. If I should replace my motherboard as well can I use the same tower and hard drive I am currently running? Thank you so much for all of your help.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:46 PM

The motherboard looks fine although it will limit you to a nVidia 7 series graphics card or a ATi x1950 (which will run Oblivion fine). So you can get the 7950 you were looking at. However according to Abit your Motherboard will not support the Processor you selected (Board chipset is 939, Processor is a AM2)This is the Best one I could find on Newegg for a 939 Dual core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103053. If this processor isnt enough for you then you may have to upgrade your motherboard.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users