Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HyBriD54

HyBriD54

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:26 AM

My friend seemed to have received a msn virus. It made him send a file named "Photo234" to people on his msn list. I suggested him to used programs such as ad-aware and the like. It seemed to have fixed it but now he has problems using browsers (IE, and firefox). Whenever he opens up a page on the browser, his msn would crash. We are not clear what the problem is. He can talk to me on MSN no problem, but has difficulty using the internet browsers.

P.S. Ad-aware and spybot search and destroy did not seem to detect any viruses.

Edit: Sorry if I'm not being clear, I need more time to let him tell me what's happening clearly.

Edited by HyBriD54, 18 August 2007 - 05:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:06 AM

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?

Download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt. Follow the instructions here for performing a scan.

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users.

Then perform these online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
BitDefender Online Scanner. <- Add a check by "Autoclean".
F-Secure Online Scanner. <- Be sure to follow the directions on the F-Secure page for proper Installation. (also checks for rootkits).

If you are still having problems afterwards you may need to post a HijackThis log and get expert assistance. Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". You may have performed some of these steps already. If you can't perform a step, then skip and continue with the next. In step #9 there are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log. (This is a self-extracting version which will automatically install HJT in the proper location.)

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.

Edited by quietman7, 18 August 2007 - 06:07 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users