Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype Scam?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 johnwingrove

johnwingrove

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:38 AM

Hi,
I have never downloaded Skype or any of its associated programs. Recently my bank contacted me to ask if a deduction of 60 by Skype.com was fraud. I replied I had no dealings with the company. Payment was refused.

Today I received an email purporting to be from Skype, congratulating me on downloading the program and inviting me to make my first call? I have not responded.

Any clue as to what is going on? Is this a scam? Is my computer infected? What action should I take?

My computer should already be fully protected by the McAfee Suite.

Regards, John Wingrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:56 AM

I posted your question on a Skype forum. If/when I get a response, I will post it here.

Are you 100% sure it was your bank that contacted you? How was the contact made? Did they ask to confirm email address?
Did the bank ask for confirmation on any other info?

Edited by buddy215, 18 August 2007 - 05:59 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:17 AM

Does anyone else what access to your pc and could they have downloaded Skype without telling you?

Please answer buddy215's questions as it could be another scam from someone other than your real bank.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 johnwingrove

johnwingrove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:50 AM

Hi buddy215 & quietman7,

It was definitely my bank because at their request they have changed my credit card number. Several other fraudulent charges were made on my old credit card account at about the same time. All internet connected. It appears some one online obtained details of my old credit card account and passed it on to various dodgey companies/individuals.

No one else can access my computer and I'm pretty sure that Skype has not been downloaded at all - even though this email which purports to come from Skype tells me it has and invites me to use it for the first time.

What file name should I search for to determine if Skype exists on my computer?

Thank you both for your help.

Cheers, John W :thumbsup:

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:32 AM

If Skype is installed on your comp it would be very obvious. Huge program. It seems obvious though that whoever has your "old" credit card info is using it to buy Skype time. It would be a good idea to notify Skype of this. I would not use any links in the email that you got though.
I hope you have checked your computer for malware as this is a common way for getting your personal info. Below are links to two good programs to scan with.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Buying Skype minutes with someone else's credit card and also knowing the email address would lead me to believe your computer has been compromised unless you know some other way the email address could have been acquired.

You did not answer my questions in my first post. No bank will ask you for details in an email. If you were asked in a tele/con for your email address, it was most likely a crook doing it. If you were asked to verify anything it is most likely a crook doing it.
Suggest you CALL or visit your bank to verify it was they who contacted you.

Edited by buddy215, 18 August 2007 - 09:14 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:34 AM

C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL

#7 johnwingrove

johnwingrove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:34 AM

Hello buddy215 & quietman7,

Thanks for your advice. Regarding the bank - All correspondence was by snail mail on official letterheaded paper and I responded using a secure phone link with password protection. So I don't think there was any doubt that the banks correspondence was legit.

Maybe now I've got my new credit card, the bandits are after the new details which is why they want me to reply to their phoney email.

As you suggest, I'll inform Skpe of this scam, but I guess I won't be the first to have come across this.

Many Thanks, John W

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

Did you scan your computer for malware using the programs I suggested? The email may not be "phishing".

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

"All About Phishing"
"How to Avoid Phishing Scams"
"Recognize phishing scams and fraudulent e-mails"
PayPal's "Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Emails" which includes 10 ways to recognize fake (spoof) emails.

"SonicWALL Phishing IQ Test"
"MailFrontier Phishing IQ Test"
"Catch a Phish: Take The Quiz"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users