Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Filesharing Guide

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:43 PM

Aright so obviously if youre reading this your either interested in learning how to fileshare the safe way or your just

looking for a good read, either way you should pay attention because this is vital stuff right here.

So you've decided that you want to fileshare? thats great we just have to be safe, and that includes downloading the right

programs that arent bundled with any sort or malware that will eventually do your computer in.

Safe programs to download
-------------------------------
1)Shareaza (www.shareaza.com)--my personal favorite : )
2)Limewire (www.Limewire.com
3)Frostwire (www.Frostwire.com)

*I'm sure there are many more file sharing programs out there that are prefectly legitimate and include no Malware whatsoever

but I cant possible cover them all, (thats where you the readers would come in with the replys.)

Aright now as there is good and safe Filesharing programs out there there are also ones that arent so safe and that can kill

your computer and or give you a hard time trying to get rid of the stuff they put on it.

Programs to STAY AWAY FROM
--------------------------
1)Kazaa
2)BitComet
3)Edonkey2000
4)Imesh
5)BearShare
6)TrustyFiles
7)WinMx (Not really dangerous but it's just pointless to download because it gets minimal results and is just too outdated to

even be running anymore. The main server was shut down about 3 years ago.)
8)Anything called Kiwi or Kiwi alpha

---------------------------------------
Aright now that we know what programs you can and can't download now we'll start on what files should look like (file

size,hosts etc...)

Now I don't know how much you know about filesharing already so im just going to start from the basics here. Lets start with

music

Music downloading
-----------------
Now theres a couple things you should keep in mind when downloading music and that is:
Songs can be as long as 1 minute to 5 minutes so you want to download the right file and not a bogus one. A legitimate music

file will be from 2.00 MB to maybe 5.00. IF your looking for a song that may be 17 minutes then the filesize may even be

12.00 MB.Now your going to want to download a song that has a couple sources so your not waiting forever for sed song to

download. so be sure to look at how many sources a song has before downloading it, use common sense as well, do you think

your song will download faster if it has 1 source or 23? 23 would be the faster one.Also another thing thing to remember is

what bogus results look like, these would be the ones that are only 13.00kb, or anything thats in kb.
-----------------

I dont know how many of you feel its necessary to download movies instead of going to Blockbuster or just going to the

theatres to see it but you can still find movies on the filesharing networks and you still need to be cautious when

downloading them as well.

Movie Downloading
-----------------
Aright well what I want you guys to know that movies usually come in large file sizes and are a bit different from

downloading music. Usually movies will come in two parts. Example: Say your looking for spiderman, your probably going to see

something similar to this when looking for this movie "spiderman the movie part 1 of 2." OR "spiderman movie cd 1 of 2".
Another thing that I ALWAYS want you to do is right click the file before downloading it and get whats called a "Bitzi

Ticket" if it seems to have a good rating as well as good comments then go for it.
*BItzi Tickets" should only be used for anything really other than music.Also movie size should be at the least 600.00 MB(or

more) sometimes that much per "part" or "cd". However if you find a file thats about 1.00 GB then thats most likey the whole

movie right there.
----------------
Application/Game Downloaing
----------------
Not many people put applications out there for downloading mainly because the filesharing networks are used for entertainment

files. One thing you should look out for is not to download a program thats in Kb form AT ALL.(unless the kb is in a form of

30,000 KB because thats basically 30 MB and thats legitimate) Games are the main programs out there for sharing and there

arent even that many out there at that. Something you should usually look for in file size in games is that of at least

600.00, 700.00 MB or even 1.00 Gb. Games and Applications are something that you should also get a bitzi ticket on.
----------------
Finding more Sources
----------------
Now almost All fileSharing programs have an option to "find more sources" during the time in which your downloading the file

that you want to download. Finding more sources means that your finding more peopele who have that file and your just

downloading bits from each person rather then just downloading the whole song or file from just one person hence 1

source/host/person is going to be alot slower then say 23 or more. Always look for more sources when downloading files it

makes them go alot faster.
----------------

I think that about covers it, If anyone has any questions to ask me about filesharing or anything in relation I'd be more

then happy to answer them.

Comments are also welcome as well as criticisms, also add anything that I may have Forgotten in this guide. . :thumbsup:

Edited by monkpart9, 17 August 2007 - 11:44 PM.

If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:01 AM

You forgot to say that this may be ILLEGAL!
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#3 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:02 AM

BitComet's got malware?! Surprising...

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:24 AM

You forgot to say that this may be ILLEGAL!

Filesharing isn't illegal.
It's what you decide to share, that may be illegal, such as copyrighted material.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

Filesharing is like buying a watch from a street vendor. It may say it is "safe" and a Rolex, but it can easily turn out to be junk (malware). You are much better off buying the watch from a reputable merchant, even if the price is far higher.
P2P filesharing is still among the ten highest causes of computer infection.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users