Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If You Could, Would You Make Other People Forget...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:50 PM

This is a spin-off of my earlier thread about if you could, would you forget certain memories. Except in this case, would you make any and all other people forget the embarrassing acts they witnessed you make? For a lame example, say you tripped and fell on your face. If you could, would you make all those people who saw you, forget that you ever did that? You, however, must keep this shameful memory. So would you do it to help you sleep better at night or whatever? I would. My most embarrassing moments are embarrassing because other people saw. If no one knew about them but me, I would feel a lot better. I have often wished I could do this too, but instead, have had to pray those people have forgotten. As an added bonus, see if you can think of any reason why you shouldn't erase those witnesses memories.

Edited by solaris32, 17 August 2007 - 10:51 PM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:10 PM

No, I wouldn't make them forget.
If they remember, or not, makes no difference to me.
I have more important things to worry about, than what other people think of me.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:59 PM

No, I wouldn't make them forget.
If they remember, or not, makes no difference to me.
I have more important things to worry about, than what other people think of me.

"What other people think of me is none of my business".

Besides, wouldn't screwing around with other people's minds be wrong? On several different levels?.

Edited by MattV, 18 August 2007 - 06:33 AM.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

Sometimes I do forget the dopey me.
Good friends remind me of where I don't want to be.
The others I don't care about.

Some old reminders serve as good humor as well.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:35 AM

So there are no memories that you wish no one else knew? You're perfectly happy knowing other people remember some of those embarrassing moments? Sure you don't care what they think, but doesn't it just tickle your mind that they know those things about you? Personally I don't care either what people think about what I think or do, but surely there's some embarrassing moment that you just wish no one else but you knew about?

And you're not messing with their minds, you're just removing memories of your actions that they don't really need. For example, your parents don't need to know those things you decided to do when you were younger. You've already learned from them, so no need to be haunted by the fact that you know that they still know what you did. Personally I like to keep my painful memories all to myself; no one else needs to know of them, it serves them no purpose.

Edited by solaris32, 18 August 2007 - 01:37 AM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:07 AM

So there are no memories that you wish no one else knew?

Not that I can think of.

You're perfectly happy knowing other people remember some of those embarrassing moments?

Doesn't bother me in the least.

Sure you don't care what they think, but doesn't it just tickle your mind that they know those things about you?

If I don't care, why would it "tickle" my mind?

Personally I don't care either what people think about what I think or do, but surely there's some embarrassing moment that you just wish no one else but you knew about?

You obviously do care, some, or it wouldn't matter what they know.

I don't care what people know, or think!!
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

And you're not messing with their minds...

How so? Memory is part of the mind. Suppose this embarrassing memory you're referring to is a trigger for other memories. Wouldn't those memories would be erased, too? Or there'd be a blank spot. They'd have memories that they'd have no idea what they relate too, because the link would be gone.

And perhaps it's a good thing that people have those memories - they serve as a reminder of things you don't want to do again.

#8 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

Wow, I got some very unexpected responses. But that's good! I like hearing other people's opinions. Anyone else care to share?

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:13 AM

So there are no memories that you wish no one else knew? You're perfectly happy knowing other people remember some of those embarrassing moments? Sure you don't care what they think, but doesn't it just tickle your mind that they know those things about you? Personally I don't care either what people think about what I think or do, but surely there's some embarrassing moment that you just wish no one else but you knew about?

And you're not messing with their minds, you're just removing memories of your actions that they don't really need. For example, your parents don't need to know those things you decided to do when you were younger. You've already learned from them, so no need to be haunted by the fact that you know that they still know what you did. Personally I like to keep my painful memories all to myself; no one else needs to know of them, it serves them no purpose.

Reading your post,evidently you have a painful memory that's bothering you.You can't change the fact that someone witnessed you do something really stupid,and you have to live with that.We all have done something stupid in our lives,because we are human and not perfect.The important thing is not to repeat them and move on.Worrying about the past and what someone thinks about you is really negative IMO.I personally couldn't give a rats what anyone thinks about me.You are only giving that person who witnessed the event permission to make your life miserable by thinking about it.Move on,it's history. :thumbsup:

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:41 AM

The past is the past I cannot and will not change it. it has made me the man I am today. The future is the future i cannot control it so why try. These are things which cannot be altered i do not fret them as they are not who i am today merely who I was and who i will be. I will worry about them when I have to but not until then.

Posted Image

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:25 AM

Emabarassing stuff? Naw, I learned from it and some of them are good for laughs. However, there were times when I hurt some people, not always on purpose, that I would not mind if they forgot about. If they have'nt already. I'm not real proud of those.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users